mixing dwarf angels

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I've been planing to add a coral beauty and flame angel simultaneously as the final additions to my tank. A local reefer is breaking down his tank and has a large flame angel that he is looking to get rid of. It's never nipped at his corals but is a good 4" in size - larger than all of my other fish. This is earlier than I had planned to add the angels, but do you think if I buy a large coral beauty (2 1/2 - 4" from LA) and add it with the large flame, or add it a few weeks before the large flame that they might do okay together? Or would it be better to pass on this one and just get two similar sized angels at some point down the road to add together? Also, if this flame is already 4" in size, could he be near the end of his lifespan?

Yeah, that had been my plan. But then I run the risk of one of them munching corals, which is why the idea of getting the flame from a local reefer that has never munched corals is appealing. But with the flame angel temperment and size, I am worried that it will bully everything in the tank, not just a coral beauty. My tang is only 2 1/2 inches, and the 3 fairy wrasses are 3 1/2 - 4", everything else is smaller than that. Probably not the best idea to add a flame angel that is so much bigger.

Since your other fish have their territories already established adding the Flame and possibly the Coral Beauty will dramatically cut down on the aggression. That is why a lot of aquarists save the Flame for last. You are also planning on putting another angel in with it. So I would think most if any aggression will be directed to the CB.

As little_fish said a CB the same size as the Flame would be a plus but no guarantee those two won't go at it sometimes.

50/50 shot there.
I've seen folks add the Flame and Coral Beauty at the same time, only to have one or both dead with a few days.
I've seen them have no issues what so ever.

If you aren't willing to tear down your tank at a moments notice because they nip at your corals, then don't get them. It's a 50-50 chance they will or won't. By adding 2 you're just increasing the likelyhood substantially.

Back