Mixing Flame Angel & Potters Angel

RollTide15

Reefing newb
So I have a 40g

2 - Ocellaris
1 - Flame Angel

In a few weeks I want to add a fourth fish. Since I have a 40 gallon I am limited. Once I get my skimmer I will add the 4th fish and possibly down the road a small goby as the 5th and final fish. The guy, who is normally overly cautious and knowledgeable told me that a Flame Angel and Potters Angel would do ok together and not fight. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would think they would fight in a tank that small. I have seen a few people have success with two angels, but they were in much larger tanks.

+1 Kelz

Also, the potters angels are extremely challenging keep, and I highly doubt they do well in the smaller tank with another angel

You will not have success with a potter angels in a 40 gallon, its much too small and wont have nearly enough rock, and I also would doubt that it would get along with another angel in a tank of that size

They are incredible fish, but they are very, very hard to keep. I had one for over two years, and as much as I'd like to replace it, I just don't think I'd find another specimen that would adapt like mine did

Ok, my new Flame Angel is a little bit of an asshole. He has been a little aggressive towards one of my Ocellaris. But it is only occasional and they have only been in the tank together for about 5 days now. I also think it is due to their sizing, the two clowns are a good deal smaller than the Flame. The Flame also will not come to the surface to feed, I have to push the pellets down to him. He is a pain in my ass! Haha. Will they eventually establish territories and chill out? Like I said it is just a little bit of aggression.

That is a shame to hear about the Potters Angel. They are beautiful fish.

Did you try putting up a mirror? Angels can be pretty agro, You could also try turning off the lights and re arranging the top rocks

40 gallons for 2 Angel fish is a little crowded. Some people have luck with numerous angels and some don't it's luck of the draw. The bigger the tank the better.

Back