mixing salt ?

rbb302

Reefing newb
so i got my 120gl up and going geting skimmer monday and 50lbs live rock for now but my salt is not where it needs to be should i add my salt with my canister filter off and the power heads runing to get it all mix in or dose it not matter i was just woundering some fast help be great.

just mix it up in a bucket first and get it dissolved good then test the specific gravity than dump in into the tank let in run for 20 min and check to see where you are at it may need more and it may not if it is low than than just make water that is higher that that for example if your water is at .019 than make some water that is .030 i hope you understand what i am saying since there in nothing in the tank a large swing in specific gravity will not harm anything

If your salinity is low, you can add it straight to the tank and give it at least a day to mix thoroughly, then test salinity again and add salt or water as needed.

when you do top offs dont add more salt, only use freshwater since its just freshwater evaporating and the salt still stays in the tank

How much are you needing to increase the salinity? If you have a sump, just throw a fine mesh bag full of salt into he sump. You can do the same in a tank, but I would hang the bag from the side of the tank e=rather than throwing it down by the live rock. any inhabitants of the live rock are having a rough enough time alraedy if the salinity is to low. They do not need a massive wave of salinity washing around them. There is no reason to turn the canister filter off.

hey thanks every one i got my salt between .021 and .022 every thing is looking great i cant wait to put some rock in it and get every thing going i will post a few pics in a few

rbb302 if you click on the IMG code for photobucket it will auto-copy then just paste it in the message box, it will post a nice sized pic right in your post.

Back