Mixing Tangs

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
When attempting to mix Tangs in a reef tank(165g), am I understanding the method right? Do you try to only have one from each family and only add multiples of a family at the same time?

i.e. either pick a yellow, sailfin, purple,or scopas, but not one of each?
or add say 3 at one time.

Would something like this mix work?
Sailfin Tang
(Zebrasoma veliferum)
Pacific Blue Tang
(Paracanthurus hepatus)
Mimic Eibli Tang
(Acanthurus pyroferus)
valamingi tang
(naso)

Yes,that's the method I hear the most but I've seen people mix same family of tangs too.

Big,big tangs(eventually at least).My only concern is adding them all at the same time,maybe taxing the bioload too fast.

You are right. Try and pick as different fish as possible. The more similar they are (genetically -- family, and in appearance -- body shape, colors), the more likely they are to fight.

MMMM so orangy and cosmically delicious.

And because tang is drank by astronauts in space you know its good!

Your methods are exactly right. I agree with reeffreak in the idea of avoiding all 4 at the same time for sake of your bioload change from almost nothing to 3 or 4 "crop dusters of the sea". Additionally, some acanthurus tangs like the sohal are very territorial and will really dominate a tank. I would suggest adding it last. My 5 inch sohal runs the show in my tank with a 12 inch vlamingi. Speaking of vlamingi, I would suggest something a bit smaller for a 165 maybe just a naso or blonde naso. My vlamingi in my 180 is really pushing it. I can't wait for a few years down the road to get a larger tank for him because 6 feet really isn't enough room for a fish that covers hundreds of miles daily in the ocean, but its the best situation for him now so all I can do Is make sure he is well taken care of.

yummy orangeness.
Stop it. Your making me thirsty!!

Well I put the val on the hypothetical list because I already have one. It is the only tang I have. Eventually I will be in trouble with him and will have to give him away or upgrade the tank. I really wonder if they live as long as I have read. Wow that would be something.
Do any of you have opinions as to which order to add them in. Which seems to be the more docile family. I would like to add in the order of most passive to least passive.
Please remember that the Blue Hippo tang is a must for this tank. And that I already have a Val. I would like to add a sailfin. Which of the 2 sailfins do you like best and why?
Sorry so many questions but I will begin adding more fish in the next couple weeks and want to do things right.
Also I have 2 30gal hospital tanks set up and running. I will be quarentining(sp) all fish that go in this tank.

I have a regular sailfin, but I do think the desjardinis are nicer looking. But they are more expensive and harder to find. Their temperaments are similar, so it's up to you which you prefer.

The Purple tang from the red sea is very aggressive where as the yellow tang from the Hawaian islands is much less agressive and can be housed with its own kind as long as they are all introduced at the same time. The purple is a single.
The blue hippo tang can be housed with its own kind if all are introduced at the same time. good luck. I did not use scientific names here as Im sure you will know which ones Im talkingt about. Remember that all may be well at first, but, as the fish grow and start to crowd or compete for food, you may develope a problem later on. I have always added a rabbit fish with the tangs for some diversity on the algae eaters. and a lawnmower blennie is also an excellent addition. good luck. keep us posted.

How about this.....

I read(not experience) that the naso family is the most docile and the zebrasoma are the most aggressive.The other two falls in between the others,although my Powder Brown can get kind of aggressive.I say do the vlamingi and blue together than the sailfin/mimic later.I like the desjardini better than the regular sailfin.They are a little more expensive but have better coloration especially aa adult.

I like the idea of that plan freak. I really cant wait to get a blue in there, but even after I get it it will be several weeks in the QT. Oh well, one more thing to look forward to.
Does anyone have any experience with the mimic's? I routinely find 3 types available online. Any preference? I would love to have a Bi-Color, Elibi, or Flame angel in the tank, but thought the Elibi tang might do better. Any advice on Angels in the reef tank?

Sorry,I have no experience with mimic tangs.Our resident tang expert,Dr. Marco has been missing in action.I've always considered the mimics pretty bland for a tang.As adults they have dull muted colors.Have you thought about one from the ctenochaetus family.The blue eye and yellow eye kole tangs are nice.

Both the large and dwarf angels are notorious for nipping/eating corals.Less of a problem with the dwarfs but the risk is still there.

The pygmy angels like coral beauty and flame are usually reef safe. As for the larger angels, none of them can be considered reef safe, although they tend to prefer some corals over others. Usually, mushrooms and leathers will be safe in an angel tank. But they will devour SPS, LPS, clams and lots of times, zoanthids.

what about the shallowtail angles, zebra angels, lamarcks angels, watabei angels, they are considered 100% reef safe and are large angels

Back