Modified filter into fuge

lilduud

Reefing newb
So I'm thinking of attempting to turn the biggest HOB aquaclear filter (for 100 gallon tanks) into a hob fuge. The general idea is to remove all of the cartridges and simply fill it will live rock and macroalgae.... Any ideas on this? Anyone done something similar? And if I don't make an hob do I really need to have the fuge on an opposite lighting sced cause that may be a problem

i know that but if its not concealed like under a stand it will light up my room at night... which i dont want hah

You can check out nanoreefs.com to see how many have done this (albeit usually on a smaller scale). I did a bit of research to do that with a aquaclear filter for a pico.

cool thank you i found literally the exact same idea a few different places on that site that was very helpful! however is it possible to do a synchronized lighting system or would that greatly throw off my ph

I did this. The chaeto has done fine so far, and I don't have any extra lighting other than the T5's on my tank.

Did you have it open? Or with the lid on and how many bulbs do you have I only have a two bulb system but may be upgrading to a four although I'm afraid of temp spikes

Back