Modifying a Mag 7 for a Protein Skimmer

bigploch

Fan of Water
Hello all.
I have a Current Fission Protein Skimmer on my system as I got it for free and was in need of a skimmer. I was getting stray voltage from the pump for it and took it out. Rather than go buy a new pump for a skimmer I will upgrade soon anyway, can I use a Mag 7 (which I already have and am not using) to power it and if so, what do I need to do to it to make it work with air? I think it can be done, just not sure how.
Thanks in advance for all your help.

Does the old pump have a venturi? if so just get some fittings and move it to the mag. some one else may have more to offer but i'm sure there will be people asking for a pic of the skimmer setup to better understand...

Hey Yote,
Any idea why the 3/4" fitting can only be used with an external pump? I was hinking of getting that one because I think the Mag 7 will burn up pushing through a half inch hole. I could be wrong but as far as flow goes, isn't bigger usually better? And I believe the connecting hose is 3/4".

I have no idea why their says it can only be used on an external pump.We use em on several of the pumps at the store.Both external and in-sump with no problems.

Back