monkiboy's 265g build thread

like clock-work, every night, the blue linckias will gather together. it isn't always the same spot but often this is one of their favorite locations for whatever reason. makes for a wonderful display if you sneak a flash photo in:
45cf9078-25be-4a09-ba11-6718c410a071_zpsd36cef6b.jpg

this guy has really taken off in the last month with five or six new branches and some intense yellow and orange saturation. really digging it.

Loving the Linckias! Should mix up the colors though! Add a Orange or Red one to give it a splash of variety! And as always, it has very nice PE going on. Should ship me some frags so I can put em in a grow out tank and share with my reefing club :p

Wow, most reefers talk about not being able to keep a single Blue Link alive...you have FOUR!

Awesome stuff, as always.

Loving the Linckias! Should mix up the colors though! Add a Orange or Red one to give it a splash of variety! And as always, it has very nice PE going on. Should ship me some frags so I can put em in a grow out tank and share with my reefing club :p
thanks for following along - got to share with the community!

getting a ton of frags and colonies accumulating in grow out and its time to get the calcium reactor going for better stability and reliability.

i picked up the sea bones III calcium reactor from avast and their effluent camber III as well a bit ago. it was time to get building. the effluent chamber was done already and was time to tackle the calcium reactor.

1ec22b7c-1704-4f3f-a68f-d6dd8f0f059c_zps4b7eb57a.jpg

i'm a perfectionist and one of the very first things you have to deal with is this d a m n tacky stringy annoying solvent. o m g, never again. anyone else likely wouldn't have an issue but for someone who has to have things just right, i got frustrated super quick. thankfully i was headed over to justin's from avast already so brought over what i had left to do, and he had me taken care of in a jiffy and the man has the same attention to detail i do which put me at total ease.

going to find the perfect place for the system over the next couple days, order my media, and get it started - pretty excited!

fb96e72f-5b47-49f1-bee0-c50c0ac1c175_zpse4806a5f.jpg

getting a ton of frags and colonies accumulating in grow out and its time to get the calcium reactor going for better stability and reliability.

i picked up the sea bones III calcium reactor from avast and their effluent camber III as well a bit ago. it was time to get building. the effluent chamber was done already and was time to tackle the calcium reactor.

1ec22b7c-1704-4f3f-a68f-d6dd8f0f059c_zps4b7eb57a.jpg

i'm a perfectionist and one of the very first things you have to deal with is this d a m n tacky stringy annoying solvent. o m g, never again. anyone else likely wouldn't have an issue but for someone who has to have things just right, i got frustrated super quick. thankfully i was headed over to justin's from avast already so brought over what i had left to do, and he had me taken care of in a jiffy and the man has the same attention to detail i do which put me at total ease.

going to find the perfect place for the system over the next couple days, order my media, and get it started - pretty excited!

fb96e72f-5b47-49f1-bee0-c50c0ac1c175_zpse4806a5f.jpg
thats a thing of beauty. how are you liking avast product? i was looking at the DIY media reactors you can get from them. hows the quality? i've been looking at tankless water heater? would you mind saying how much everything cost for it? did you install yourself? how hard? thanks tank is looking great.

thats a thing of beauty. how are you liking avast product? i was looking at the DIY media reactors you can get from them. hows the quality? i've been looking at tankless water heater? would you mind saying how much everything cost for it? did you install yourself? how hard? thanks tank is looking great.
i have a few of their products and all are great. i had a gripe against their ATO peristalic pump about a year ago because of how loud it was. they have since upgraded to a DC stepper motor now and new housing and it is nearly silent. the quietest ATO pump i've ever used. they are constantly innovating to make things easier for the hobbyist. they are true engineers, hobbyists, and inventors. just fantastically smart. shoot them an email via their site and tell them marco sent you and they'll hook you up with some great stuff! their reactors are simple and well made. probably one of their most popular selling items.

the tankless was around $955. it's gone up maybe about $100 since i purchased it. you can find it cheapest through a GC through build.com or ordering from amazon and you can get free shipping either way which is nice. don't forget to buy the appropriate vent kit for your given installation which is separate but not at all expensive ($70 or so).

i had a friend do the install. it took longer than it should (doesn't it always?) because of how specific my requirements where for it's location as i wanted the space the water heater previously occupied for my water change station so i had to find another location for the tankless far and away and hidden. standard install would probably take about 2-4 hours and very easy, actually.

thanks for the comments and for following along. i hope that information helped you!

thanks for the reply. i'll have to check out amazon for it and see. i think it might be time for an upgrade. have a nice size tub but can never get in due to the water getting cold half way thru. lol i'll def shot avast an email when the time comes for the build. thanks again

regis jr is out of a 6-week quarantine and prophylactic treatment and enjoying the good life in one of the displays with his wrasse and anthias buddies now! he wasn't eating at all when i got him but after two weeks transitioned him off of sponge and clam/mussels to PE mysis (he seems to prefer bigger pieces than that found in hikari) and hikari spirulina brine and black worms.

beautiful fish and huge value add to my tank in terms of aesthetics and movement. i have a few more in quarantine including a juvenile sumatra gray chest that is just starting to peck at mysis free floating and a smaller yellow belly i got from another member on R2R that is eating very nicely and will likely go in the frag show-tank or be put into the 265 display downstairs.

Back