monkiboy's 265g build thread

wanted to create enough room above the tank so i could get larger/taller pieces of rock into the tank, have some extra space for headroom and possible shelves or electrical so i ripped our the drywall above.

with the stand being much higher than typical, and the tank being 24" i was only left with about 14" or room to the ceiling prior to my "modification". now i have about 27" which is great!

still need to move the junction box, clean up the edges of the drywall, and will likely seal everything above as well but you get the idea.

20130716_185441_zpsccab418a.jpg

20130716_193711_zps3c183146.jpg

Looking good! I just went through the whole thread and its pretty awesome!

How do you like the Genesis? Im setting my 125 back up from when I moved and im completely re-doing it, ordered and got in the Renew and Storm last night. Excited to get mine up and running.

i REALLY like them. they allow for increased stability, easy peezy water changes, ato, etc. you know how nice it is to tell the thing to do a 30g water change over the course of one week, every week for you and all you have to do is fill your salt water container with salt? it's awesome. and the customer service is unbeatable.

i REALLY like them. they allow for increased stability, easy peezy water changes, ato, etc. you know how nice it is to tell the thing to do a 30g water change over the course of one week, every week for you and all you have to do is fill your salt water container with salt? it's awesome. and the customer service is unbeatable.

Awesome, im so glad I bit the bullet and went for it then. Yeah im excited to just tell it to do a 25gal change per week, then just refill the new saltwater tanks and that's it. I did buckets for years and that got real old real quick. Ive heard good things about the system and the customer service.

What is the difference between that and a simple drip irrigation fitting feeding new water gradually?
check out their site and their product line. it's so much technology and a comprehensive package to just put into a few words in a post. you can also check out my youtube videos and theirs on the product line which describes and demonstrates it very well.

Isnt it going to get really hot in there come summer ??? With that cut out on tje sealling all that jeat from attic will be.right over the tank wouldnt it be ?? Oh i think uou said you where going to seal it ??

Isnt it going to get really hot in there come summer ??? With that cut out on tje sealling all that jeat from attic will be.right over the tank wouldnt it be ?? Oh i think uou said you where going to seal it ??
this build is happening in my basement. i will be sealing it with redgard against moisture and humidity just as a precaution. the basement is typically 73° year round. i only use LEDs so temperature is not an issue. that and i have a window on the exterior wall behind the tank that a large fan will be placed in that will keep that area with much less humidity. thanks for asking, though. that is how you catch all the problems before they become ones.

oh forgot to mention, the first hole from the back pane to the external overflow box took me 25 minutes or so, the next about 35, and the third about 47 minutes. because i felt the bit becoming tough to work with on the third hole i decided to wait and purchase a new bit for the last one. the last hole i did in under 6 minutes, haha. goes to show what a new bit can do. glad i waited and didn't rush to get the last hole done and possibly crack my tank.

so i'm going to fill her up today to let her settle for a few days then will relevel the stand. just under weight of the tank alone, there has been some slight settling and not having this thing perfectly level while filled will be accomplished.

so, my question is this. initially i was going to fill her up with fresh then try to find use for the water somehow but thats a lot of water and i dont know what i'd do with it or how i would store it for use and i'd feel like crap wasting it.

would i be better off filling it with RO/DI so that i can at least use that for the tank and just add salt afterwards?

so the hurdle being that the tank is going to weight a heck of a lot more (~2100lbs) to adjust the stand to level with her mostly filled but i'm sure with two jacks i can make quick work of the extra weight.

thoughts and ideas, por favor!

Go buy a blow up pool from the grocery store; use the water in the tank first, then transfer it to the pool. afterwords, throw some powerheads and a heater in it for giggles; purchase a case of beer, and invite the friends over for a good time. Tada, homemade hot tub, no water was wasted!

Go buy a blow up pool from the grocery store; use the water in the tank first, then transfer it to the pool. afterwords, throw some powerheads and a heater in it for giggles; purchase a case of beer, and invite the friends over for a good time. Tada, homemade hot tub, no water was wasted!
that's not too bad an idea, haha. thanks for the post!

Back