monkiboy's frag tank setup!

monkiboy

Reefing newb
my large custom tank build (225g+) isn't feasible right now with the workload and commitments i have. but i managed to make my way back to the site and got inspired to do... something.

i'm getting more and more serious with my 46g and just upgraded my lights on that tank so i can now start growing SPS and whatever other corals i want and picked up a 2-part kit from BRS along with a whole other host of goodies aimed at creating the most ideal environment for accelerated growth and beautiful coloration.

i really like the idea and task of propagation and fragging my corals. so, here i am!

i took advantage of the PETCO $1/gallon sale and picked up a 40 breeder. a 29, and a metal stand.

20120920_224741_zps32d72a66.jpg

when the clerk was trying to help guide the cart along the tipsy turvy parking lot with the tanks, he got a little manic and ended up dropping the two tanks. the 40 breeder had to be replaced but the 29 was ok.

i got home and realized the 29 had a crack at the edge seam. went back to exchange it and picked up a 20-long instead to save some height under the stand. in the process (i wasn't really paying attention and only noticed after getting home), i somehow got a massive credit and ended up getting my 40-breeder and 20-long for 30 bucks :shock:

my conscience was bugging me and i called in to the manager who then instructed that if i'm still around i can stop by but otherwise they will chalk it up to clerical error and to enjoy my new tanks! :^: i was quite elated and really amped at this point, haha.

i setup it up in my basement next to my heating space where my sump is for my DT that is upstairs. this way i can tee off the RO/DI unit and run a line to another container easily through the shared wall without anyone being the wiser for the tunze ATO.

20120921_233104_zps4d2a1887.jpg

i got quite a bit else to update but have to hit the road. i'll be sure to post up later today! thanks for coming along with the ride with me!

Congrats on the new frag tank! I would really love to set up a frag tank right next to my display but I have to convince the hubby first. I'm sure this tank will be fabulous!

thanks guys!

yeah i hope to offset the cost of this hobby with some frags but am also just super excited to propagate and help folks out with some more exotic and very colorful choices. the really bright and fun frags are harder to find and i intend to sort of "specialize" in them.

but baby steps...for now, i have my 2-part kit from BRS that came in with dosers, and my protein skimmer SWC 120 cone.

20120925_141629_zps990f9b09.jpg

20120925_142259_zps13e672dd.jpg

i currently have the 160 cone for my 46g + 30g sump and it works incredibly well and is completely silent so i figure i'd use the baby brother version on my smaller frag tank setup (40 breeder with 20g sump)!

also, can i get some help with sump design for this setup.

i plan to have a bonded pair of clowns and an anemone and then all the frags.

so, i dont think my bioload is going to be that much at all with the water volume being what it is (~55g, total).

my sump is only 30" long. i was thinking of doing the skimmer by the drains and then the bubble traps and some live rock in the return section.

you think i need a refugium space? i figure if required i always have my refugium in my other system's sump.

do you think i would need to use chaeto, etc? it'd be nice to have a good size skimmer and return section, with such a low bioload system so i can work with the skimmer at ease when needed.

thoughts on sump design?

Last edited:
yeah, i think i'm going to just have as much live rock as i can stuff into the non-skimmer portion of my return section of my sump and call it a day.

britt, thanks for reading and replying - you're the only who cares about my little frag adventure, haha!

I will be following along as well, I am thinking about setting a 40 up as a frag tank also, so I have something to put in the 180 when the time comes.

oh, forgot to post up my new lights i just got in for the frag tank! i have them up on my 46g DT upstairs and they are doing wonders for the corals in just the last week that iv'e had them! really excited to get them properly mounted over the frag tank from the ceiling over some frags!

b8f850e7.jpg

a2bcbecc.jpg

oh, forgot to post up my new lights i just got in for the frag tank! i have them up on my 46g DT upstairs and they are doing wonders for the corals in just the last week that iv'e had them! really excited to get them properly mounted over the frag tank from the ceiling over some frags!

b8f850e7.jpg

a2bcbecc.jpg

No problem! I love seeing the progression of people's tanks. I've noticed lately that certain people get more posts on their threads than others on here, kinda strange to me but whatever. Don't worry not too many people comment on my build threads either. Well except the newer peeps here :) anyways, what brand lights are those? They are LED right?

yep, they are LED. they are from nano box reef (Nano Box Reef - Custom LED Aquarium Lighting).

it is two of their DUOs in one milled unit and freshly powdercoated matte white. very sleak.

it has 48 3w LEDs with independent adjustable/dimmable drivers. i have them over the 46g display tank now and they are working really nicely.

got more packages today!

my new vortech mp10 and two pairs of "aqua gloves" from harbor freight. had a 20% coupon and figured i'd put it to use!

20120926_143154_zpsb3614d87.jpg

it's coming together!

Fugii it if you like but I agree with the others your sump and skimmer would do just fine with some added LR around it. but yeah so far this build sound really nice :D

thanks zyber!

a bunch of packages came in from BRS today - i really like the new site and their prices and availability of stuff can't be beat!

20120927_140557_zpsae9568fa.jpg

then i got to work on drilling holes in my frag tank and setting up my baffles for my sump.

first drilled the two returns on the corners.

20120928_112439_zpsbe881051.jpg

20120928_112833_zpsdb992575.jpg

then the other...

20120928_114423_zps10dafe0d.jpg

then it was time for the drains in the new overflow box...

20120928_122454_zpsa6c6fd3d.jpg

20120928_122514_zps8db0c566.jpg

all four holes done!

20120928_125443_zps27dc9ce8.jpg

next installing the overflow box..

20120928_145044_zps5a214384.jpg

20120929_211751_zps58896cd4.jpg

20120929_211739_zps3ef1de6b.jpg

20120929_124640_zpsd4ffa5ff.jpg

Wow you did a wonderful job!! You are quite the handy man :)

thanks a ton. i was pretty excited, haha!

i'm log my ammonia/nitrate/nitrite parameters during my use of dr. tim's "one and only" on here but she is WET and PUMPING!

20121001_134937_zps007d7326.jpg

i have a mag 18 in the return section of the sump and she is moving some serious water through the overflow and to the two return locline ports, it's great! that coupled with the mp10 on the side of the tank...i think i'm good with flow!

i really like it the way it is with the lack of sand bed because the LED lights shine all the way through to the bottom of the sump and something about seems mystical how well the sump is lit up. that will be diffused a bit once i have a ton of frags in there but for now it's pretty slick looking!

Back