Monti Cap is browning out

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
I've got an orange monti cap that is starting to brown out. It was healthy for quite a while, but it was knocked over by one of my tangs while I was out of town, and it sat under a mushroom for several days. Ever since then, the edges have been a brownish green, and its been getting worse.

I'm guessing this particular frag is a goner, but should I be worried about whatever this is spreading to my other corals? The other corals in the tank appear to be fine, polyps are all extended etc

Here is a photo
IMG_0243.jpg

Water parms are as follows
Salinity 1.026
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate: Undetecable
Phosphate: Undetecable
Alk 9
Cal 420
Mag 1350

It might be a goner sorry to say...i would try breaking the edges off that have algae on them and try to bring back the middle part....its up in the air really.....but your def in luck. I have a nice size piece of an orange cap you can have for free. I was just up there today too! Damn it...well if you want just text me or call me and we can work something out...i could prolly bring it to you on friday if you want it.

Dana, sounds good, I can flip you a a few bucks for that monti if you dont want it, I still have an empty ass tank

I'll see if I can break the edges off and nurse this one back as well, its a cool looking coral once it fills out

Only reason i say take the parts with algae off is because ive had this happen to a green cap when i first started out way back when and i left the algae on and the algae took over before the cap was able to come back........no no, i said free. Its all good! Honestly that lil piece broke off during one of my collapses. I just kinda threw it where ever and it started growin... plus i need to make room. Friday...or whenever this week is good hit me up. Id like to see your tank in person anyway.

Thread jacking 101 here kids, pay attention, jk...sorry Matt lol. Yes it is LF! It used to look like this when i got it

DSC_0070-1.jpg

Yesterday.
bottlemonti.jpg

Its supposed to look like this. its getting there but i need to move it down....just hard to place it because the bottom and back still have glass showing so it slides on the rocks. The base has turned lighter blue but the polyps havent been coloring up....im chalkin it up to my alk problem at the moment....

otherrainbow.jpg

If it was me, I'd do what Dana and Smitty say. A0 cut off the dead skeleton with the algae B) place it right back where it was. New growth will start, and you won't even know. I bust up my purple cap, darn near every time I put my arm in the tank, and you can't tell.

Back