Monti-Caps changing color?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I've had two green polyp monti caps so far and both have gone from green to pinkish brown. The first one i got about two months ago (or even less) has nearly doubled in size so it seems to be doing well. The other one is a small frag that's pretty new. Both have changed color. I've changed my bulbs a bit but everything else seems to be the same color so I don't think that's it. Is this normal? :shock:

I started them off low and brought them up higher later. The original one that has been growing well was moved up to the top not too long ago but had already changed color. And it's still growing.
You think they are getting too much light?

They could just be changing colors.I've had that to happen on a few SPS frags.
But like Dustin said,they could be browning out too.Which aint just caused by light.
Phosphates can cause em to brown out.So can the calcium and alkalinity levels getting lower than the coral likes.

+1 capt mine are mid to low level in my tank with great color. When I had one high up with the acros, the color was duller.
Right now one of my encrusting montis started orange w/ red polyps mid level. I moved it up 6", now the polyps have turned olive green. Base color is unchanged. Weird!

Well, that would do it! My tank has TONS of light.
The only other thing mentioned that might be it is alk. I always have a hard time keeping my alk levels up. I was using IO salt and now I'm trying D&D and neither gives me good alk levels. I need to up my dosing.

So if I up my alk and bring my caps to the bottom of the tank will the color come back?

Back