Water params after lights out:

salinity 1.025
temp 76.5
NH3: 0
NO2-: 0
No3-: 0
Ca2+: 500
P04-: 0

so clearly it isn't a water chemistry problem. I'm really upset-- I've had this coral forever, and it's my biggest monti

what eats montiporas? are there motnipora-eating nudis?

here's a pic of what it looks like now:

monti-dying.jpg

I noticed something crawling in the dying tissue, so I just did a freshwater dip. Any ideas are welcome....

that are nudies that will eat it. but you would see little bart marks and most of it will be underside of it and it doesnt happen quickly like your pic shows. looks like your monti is RTN

That's the definite truth. Alk swings will mess them up. About 2-3 weeks ago I messed up my alk dosing and raised it from 7 to 13. Within a week I lost 4 of my SPS that up until that point were thriving and growing. Somehow I still have 6 left, but my rainbow monti looks like it's on it's last legs.

that looks like alk problems IMO. Definitely not MEN... Bummer, I hope it pulls through for you. Try some coral revive dip from two little fishies, but its probably too late at this point. Try breaking off all the dead skeleton and into the live stuff about 1/8".

My alk Is 7. I don't dose for it, and my last water change was tuesday. My alk hovers at 7-8 pretty constantly.

I saw a very small (about 1/8") red cylindrical bug on it late last night. Was not any pod I've seen before.

Also, I have 6 other sps, and they aren't showing any sign of stress

Monti eating nudis are white and can be very small up to 1/8 or 1/4". Not sure if red bugs eat montis, but I'd double check and start dipping those SPS soon just in case. IME nudis will eat from a shady/curvy part of the coral and work around. Their handiwork might look like bleached spots, until it gets bad and most of the frag is gone. They will also lay eggs under the "shelf" of monti caps.

I use Coral Revive. Never done a FW dip, the Revive kills the buggers in 5 minutes usually. After the dip (10 mins max), blast the coral with a turkey baster all around to make sure everything's off. :)

Back