montipora caps

reefnoob

Reefing newb
How do you get the caps to grow in those swirls and layers? My caps have been growing relatively quickly. One of them has more than quadrupled its size since I've gotten it, but it only grows in a flat plate style. What can I do to make it started swirling and layering?

There are many different types of montipora and not all of them grow in the swirling/layering pattern. Unless you got a frag from 1 that was growing in the swirling pattern, you can't really be sure how it will grow.

+1

I have had some that only grow like yours, in a flat plate. I would break off pieces and glue back on to make my own layers. And I have another that grows mostly straight up!
I have yet to have one that scrolls nicely. Although right now i have a purple one that looks like it may do some of its own layering.

+1

I have had some that only grow like yours, in a flat plate. I would break off pieces and glue back on to make my own layers. And I have another that grows mostly straight up!
I have yet to have one that scrolls nicely. Although right now i have a purple one that looks like it may do some of its own layering.

So when you glue these pieces do you glue it onto another part of the montipora cap, or just to a rock that is above of it?

Back