Montipora-eating Nudibranches

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Has anyone successfully dealt with these before? My monti is covered with these things - they must have hitchhiked in with it from the Diver's Den (which genuinely shocks me, but I have no idea where else they would have come from since the only two corals in my tank are both DD corals). I bought a 5g isolation tank, 150gph powerhead, and a small LED light that I'm hoping will be enough for the 3 months that it is out of my DT. I plan to dip it in CoralRx before moving it to isolation after work today. It is the only monti in my DT, so I'm hoping that a 3mo isolation will starve the pest out of the DT. I'm concerned about getting it off the coral though. I've read that CoralRx will get rid of the adults but not the eggs, which have a 42-78h hatching cycle. I can either keep dipping it every few days or try a more radical tx. There is an article in Reefkeeper magazine about using either garlic or potassium permanganate to kill the adults and eggs. The potassium permanganate seems like a slightly safer route to go based on the info in the article, but there is no info about long term success. I emailed the author to see if he has any updated results, but haven't heard back. Has anyone used either the potassium permanganate or garlic treatment before?

Thanks!!

I agree with Hannah. I would dip every few days. It won't hurt the coral, and if you see any egg sacs, you can remove them by hand (they are usually visible). It shouldn't be too difficult to do with a monti frag.

Thank you Hannah & Sarah! I went ahead and set up a 5g quarantine tank for it yesterday and dipped it in Coral Rx before putting it in the new tank. I'll dip it every few days for a while and see if I can get rid of them. I did try to pull off what I could see after the dip, but it was a bit hard to get them. I might try pulling them off before I dip next time and see if that works better. I'll let you know how it turns out! Fingers crossed I can save this one :)

Back