Montipora help

JohnnyDanger

Reefing newb
I put a piece of Monti in the tank about a week and a half ago and didn't really acclimate it to the lighting since the tank it was at in the store had it up pretty high.. Seems like it's starting to bleach in a couple spots and I was wondering what you all think.. All my parameters are perfect, I just tested them yesterday.. Anybody got any ideas? I haven't been feeding it..

22.jpg

OH!! And I had a heater problem and my temperature dropped to 76 for about 8 hours until I put a new one in there.. Anybody got an idea?

It actually could be growing. If your Ca, Alk, Mag levels are all good and steady that shouldn't be a problem. It is a good practice to light acclimate your corals because there are many possible variables between yours and your LFS. Keep an eye on it and if you see more than just edges changing color then there may be lighting or some other issue.

I can see what you are talking about now after switching to my laptop. What kind of lighting do you have it under and what are your nitrates reading?

Your LEDs at 50% are probably more than it was under. Try moving it down in your tank and make sure it is getting some water movement. You could also dial your lights back a little but I figure you have other corals that would be affected.

I have the exact same problem with a very similar monti (that could almost be a picture of my tank) but I am running T5's so I don't think Lighting was my problem. I moved it up last night so we will see...

I have a red one like yours. I too thought it was on its way out. I still have a bleached looking area similar to yours, but it is no doubt growing around the edges. Mine ore under LEDs also and really seem to be doing well. I say just let it go, and don't do anything.

Back