Montipora Setosa??

Steveg229

Addicted
I picked this up Sunday. Is it a Montipora Setosa?? I think thats what I was told...

Any pointers or suggestions for care? I have it under 6-HO T5's, about mid tank, medium flow.

Attachments

• MONTI.jpg
    MONTI.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 900
I picked this up Sunday. Is it a Montipora Setosa?? I think thats what I was told...

Any pointers or suggestions for care? I have it under 6-HO T5's, about mid tank, medium flow.

Looks like a setosa from the pics especially from the color, texture and the polyps. It an encrusing monti. You should be fine with 6xT5's. Doesn't really need a lot of flow - its primarily photosyntheic. Because its an encrusting form - you want to mount it so the it can spread over your current rockwork. I've seen colonies that have encrusted over a large section of rockwork and its very impressive.

Thanks noy! You have a very impressive tank and collection of monitipora! I put this frag on a large flat rock that I hope it eventually covers. If I get a different encrusting montipora, is it safe to put on the same rock? It would be cool if the large flat rock was covered in a few different colors.

Thanks noy! You have a very impressive tank and collection of monitipora! I put this frag on a large flat rock that I hope it eventually covers. If I get a different encrusting montipora, is it safe to put on the same rock? It would be cool if the large flat rock was covered in a few different colors.

thanks for the kind comments.
I find with monti's that they are slow at first in terms of growth but once they adjust and acclimate to the water chemistry (could be weeks) - you get some real noticeable grown. The only concern with 2 encrusting monti's in close proximity is that one can overgrow (encrust over) the other if one is really taking off.

The septosa can branch - from what i understand it depends on where its collected. Once it settles you may actually see some branching growth.

On my opinion this is setosa, I have 2 frags and polyps looks exact the same but my grow on 360 degree and up this looks like go along with surface. Any how 90% this is setosa

Back