Moon wrasse. Good or bad idea?

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
I went to my lfs today and decided to purchase a moon wrasse. It is approx 4" long. The guy at my lfs said it would be ok in my tank. I just put it in my tank and started to read about it on the Internet. There seems to be contreversy if this fish is reef safe or not, or if it is an agressive or a peaceful fish.. I currently have a naso tang, yellow tang, 2 clowns, mandarin fish, foxface, corals.. I am now questionning if it was a good or a bad addition to my tank..?

I have never heard of it being reef safe. They are commonly kept in predator tanks because they are very aggressive and will eat anything it can fit in its mouth -- inverts like snails, crabs, shrimp, and it will eat fish as well. They also grow to be pretty big and grow quickly.

:frustrat: thanks biff! I'll try and fish it out and return it asap! Another reason you should never rely on " the guy at the lfs"! Lesson learned. :pooh:

Any recommendations on a nice peaceful fish? I'm looking for a pink, blue or green fish... Lots of yellows in there already.... My naso tang is by far my favorite fish with the most personality. He will eat from my hands. Just a lovely fish! Im looking for a special fish, something different/" funky looking fish" and something that is reef safe!! Lol! Any ideas?

I also like the pajama cardinals. But I don't really want to feed live food..... and that would just add more yellow to my tank.. Lol.

Last edited:
a trio of anthias would add some really nice color. the one's pictured are disbar, bartletts and squamosis are similar as well.

Attachments

• anthias dispar.jpg
    anthias dispar.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 4,391
Nice! That's a great looking fish biff! I think I'll have to remove all my rocks to get my Green " death" star and my moon wrasse out of my tank! the moon wrass is already picking at corals! There are way to many places to hide in there. I feel like I have to rearrange my rockwork as well. Some of my corals font really have a lot of room... I'll probably do that once I come back from vacation on dec 27th.

Good luck! Keep us updated. I had a leopard wrasse for the last two years, but it unfortunately passed away last month. I was so sad -- it was my favorite fish in the tank. If you get one, you'll love it! They are so active and beautiful.

Yeah, I will keep you all posted! I'll definetely do it as soon as I get back after the holidays. I'll post photos of the new aquascape I'll come up with. I can't wait to get the star and wrasse out!

I have never heard of it being reef safe. They are commonly kept in predator tanks because they are very aggressive and will eat anything it can fit in its mouth -- inverts like snails, crabs, shrimp, and it will eat fish as well. They also grow to be pretty big and grow quickly.
i have one as well just added it 3 days ago it has tried to attack my hermit crab and my cleaner shrimp has disappeared it's about 2 to 3 inches but how big will it grow i will have to fish it out too.

Back