Moorish Idol: Notebook

That's as close to full body as I've got...for Halloween pics, at least...

103107002.jpg

103107001.jpg

103107003.jpg

UPDATE

He did not eat today. I tried his usual fare that he has been eating, but did not eat today. He seemed totally uninterested. This what I feared. He is also looking skinney. It seems as if ANY competition for food is bad for Moorish Idols. This could be the beginning of the end

-Doc

I saved a casket for it!May God rest its soul,when the time comes.I would of photoshop your Moorish on the pic but I don't know how.

2108194.jpg

not dead yet. I think he ate some. I do vary the feeding between 5 different kinds of food.

-Doc

We so mean!
We put the nail in the coffin before the poor Moorish died.I feeling bad Doc,I'm going to held a candlelight vigil for Moorish with lots of praying and holy water.

Yes. Even though I am not a religious person, my fish are, so tonight Tariq ibn-Ziyad the moorish idol will be in all of their thoughts and prayers. In fact, Homer the kole is asking me if he can borrow my laptop to make a "Get Well Soon" banner for him.

OK. Tariq is officially dead. I came home tonight to find his face buried in the live rock. He was all f&^ked up. It looked like the trigger fish was having her way with him. The eyes were already gone and the stomach was being ripped out. Triggers are like that, cheap fighters. It is not a sad day tho, so there will be no mourning at my home. I am now in the middle of a debate I have had for a long time. I will post my inner fight in a different post

-Doc

This is what I learned from keeping one alive for about three weeks.

They need a lot of swimming room.

They MUST be the biggest fish in the tank with little competition for food. They do eat, but tend to be really slow eaters, which is why they end up starving to death.

They seem to have a FAST metabolism and use up the food they eat fast, so they need to be fed often. I fed twice a day and that might be sufficient if there was no competition for food.

They are not aggressive toward other tankmates, but cannot be trusted with corals, they do eat LPS corals.

It would be a neat experiment for someone running a FOWLR tank with only smaller fish to try one and see if they have better success. I will try one again in the future, but only when I have a fourth tank

-Doc

Back