Morays

Olly

Reefing newb
I am thinking about getting a Chestnut Moray Eel but I can't find any info about them. Are they easy to keep, are they reef safe, what size tank do they need etc. All info accepted. :)

Morays are escape artists. You need to make sure you have all points of escape addressed. Like sharks, they're messy and best suited to a species tank. We used to have a tiny Tessellata moray in the shop that M made a pet of, lol. Neat critters, but they do require quite a bit of owner input to thrive. Only feed them every 2-3 days as they can suffer from hepatic lipidosis, fatty liver disease. Use ONLY seafood for them, never feed them feeder fish. never met a moray that wouldn't snarf down squid.

Morays are escape artists. You need to make sure you have all points of escape addressed. Like sharks, they're messy and best suited to a species tank. We used to have a tiny Tessellata moray in the shop that M made a pet of, lol. Neat critters, but they do require quite a bit of owner input to thrive. Only feed them every 2-3 days as they can suffer from hepatic lipidosis, fatty liver disease. Use ONLY seafood for them, never feed them feeder fish. never met a moray that wouldn't snarf down squid.
OK thanks for the info. I'll be feeding it squid, chopped fish and maybe small shrimp :)

Back