More flow for 300 gallon needed and stock limit insight, help!!!

vrod2169

Reefing newb
Hey folks just need some advice here. :bowdown: My 300 gallon tank has been running for 13 years :^: and is currently stocked with the following::sfish:

3-Royal Grammas
1-Longnose hawkfish
1-Clown fish
1-Half and half angel
1-lawnmower blenny
1-Small cardinal fish
1-Med/lg magnificant foxface (about 5-6 inches)
1-XL vlamenjii tang (12 inches for sure)
2-large serpeant starfish (red/yellow)

I have an Iwaki 70RLT that runs from the sump outside about 15ft to a chiller and returns back at the top of one end of the tank. Also from the sump is an Iwaki 55RLT that was required to run the ETSS protein skimmer according to the manufacturer and also returns at the same end as other return. I then have a quiet one pump (3000 model) on a closed system where I have a drilled hole at the bottom and then returns on the other side bottom. This return is opposite of the first two returns. :bounce:

:question:So the question is that I always have had a surface film near the return on top :frustrat:and was wondering if I should place powerheads to aim toward the top to create more surface movement? Also I plan to add some more fish (blond naso, blue tang, kole tang, majestic angel) and thought the heavy load would probably do better with more flow!?? I read on another thread that somebody else with a large tank was getting rid of their powerheads and was going to increase pump soze and do more plumbing to avoid the powerhead look. I guess that is an option but wanted some ideas on the types and models of recommended powerhead or wave makers that I should consider for this size of tank? :Cheers: Also what should be the stock limit on a 300 gallon with the new fish being of med-large size?:question:

The vortechs are AMAZING powerheads. They have a new larger one that the mp40 now. ITs the mp60 and it is totally amazing. Way better than a strong closed loop.

I see those are quite up there in price, around $450 and maybe a bit more than I was planning on. I couple of Koralia with a wave maker would be more economical. What do you think of those and what models would you recommend? They are opening a huge LFS next week and I'll check them out anyways. Thanks!

I was running Koralia's on a timer prior to the Vortechs, I was running 6 to match the flow of one MP10 (I now run two). It worked but I didn't like the look of all those pumps in my tank.

How many Koralia's were you thinking of running?

I was thinking of two. One on each end towards the top to get the surface moving since most of my flow is on the bottom from the closed loop and the other is from the top aiming downward at a angle. I thought maybe with the wave maker i would have more options? Still going to reseasrch the vortech though. Sounds interesting and I agree I don't like the look of pumps in the tank.

Koralias are iffy at best on a wavemaker. I was using my 2 Koralia 1050s on a wavemaker for a while but then they'd either turn on, turn on in reverse, or not turn on at all. Since then I've removed the wavemaker and they work fine now.

If you do decide to go with them, get the models made for wavemaking and get the Koralia controller. Or you can go with the Tunze, I've heard nothing but great things about them for a while now.

Thanks I will have to check them out as well. Next week a huge LFS is opening up so I'll be curious what they have in stock and have to say. Of course I won't trust them anyways since they pitch what they have in stock, lol!! Happy 4th of July everyone!

:Cheers: Also what should be the stock limit on a 300 gallon with the new fish being of med-large size?:question:

Maybe 15 to 25 depending on how large they are

And don't call the vlamingi tang X-large yet, it will grow another foot. :shock:

awesome I still have quite a few that are on my go get list so that's a good number.. Will probably stay around the 15 number to avoid territory disputes! In the meantime added a small maxijet 1100 i had in storage and pointed towards the surface and cleared up the surface film. Thanks!

Be VERY careful with that number tossed out there. Add you fish one at a time ad let aggression and your system(nitrates) tell you when you are stocked. There is no way that we can tell you how your system will react to its bioload, there are too many variables to consider.

You r so right. I never check for nitrates but as I ramp up over the next several months I will get that habit going. Thanks!

Back