More Live Rock or More Water??

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Sounds confusing but my tank is getting stuffed with rocks and was wondering if there is a point to stop because the more rock I put in, the more water that comes out (less water mass)..So is it better to keep adding rock or will adding alot more rock make my parameters start to rise since its less water which is equals less stable? My tank is a 160 and it has probably 350lbs of rock in it MINIMUM. Probably only 100 gallons of water in my tank including sump.

The old rule for a happy tank used to be 2lbs per gallon.
Nowadays with better filtering techology like powerful skimmers and other improved husbandry factors, those rules are no longer considered rules and people are doing what looks good. There's a lot of "minimalist" good looking tanks out there. The huge "rock wall" look is becoming less and less common in favor of smaller islands and pillars.

I agree.
I'm going with closer to 1lb per gallon rather than two.Alot of corals are attached to rocks so eventually you'll add more anyways.

+1,i think you can never have too much LR,Its great natural filtration also.I have heard of tanks running with nothing but LR for filtration!!

I agree with Yote . Stop adding rock when it looks good and is doing it's natural job of filtering. Too much aquascaping may look good, but depending on the fish you keep, it may hinder the horizontal swimming that some fish need, like tangs. I think more rock looks great with predominantly corals in reef tanks, but I enjoy my fish with a little more open area at this point

The old rule for a happy tank used to be 2lbs per gallon.
Nowadays with better filtering techology like powerful skimmers and other improved husbandry factors, those rules are no longer considered rules and people are doing what looks good. There's a lot of "minimalist" good looking tanks out there. The huge "rock wall" look is becoming less and less common in favor of smaller islands and pillars.

I love the look of small islands and pillars. In my 240, I had two islands with a channel in between them. My fish loved it.

I just had too much rock for my 90 when I set it up. I used it all and made a jam-packed rock wall. It looked bad at first, but now that it's covered in corals I'm much happier with it.

I think it depends on whether you're going to be more fish focused or coral focused. If your tank will showcase mainly fish, then you want to give them lots of space and swimming room. If you want to showcase mainly corals, you will need more rocks on which to mount them.

Back