More on Skimmers.

RYknow

Reefing newb
Hey all. I've been a bit busy the last week or so, and haven't had a chance to come and post anything. My g/f and I just ordered up a nice 50 lbs batch of LR!! I can't wait to get it, and get it setup!! Should look great in our tank (fill up the space a little bit!:^:).

Anyway, I'm ready to get serious about a protein skimmer now. I've decided I think I'm going to pick up either the Octopus DBH-300, or the DBH-300f. I'm just looking for suggestions on each skimmer, or pro's and con's to each?

Also. We have a 90 gallon tank, with 2 Emperor 400 filters on the back, which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for a skimmer. I'm thinking I could mount the skimmer to the side of our tank....or is that not such a good idea?

Now...if it's ok to have the skimmer on the side I have another issue....Lighting. I'm hoping to get the Nova Extreme Pro. From the pictures I have seen, the supports cover the whole side (acrossed the top). How is that going to effect the skimmer? Can I mount the skimmer over the supports for the light?

Hopefully this this all makes scence...it's been a long day. I'll get a picture to show what I mean if need be. :Cheers:

Thanks in advance!
-RYknow[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

NovaExtremePro.jpg

There. In this pic you can see the mount for the light. If I have my skimmer mounted on the side of my tank, will I be able to use this light?

-RYknow

I cant help with the Octopus skimmers.But a HOB skimmer wont work on the side of the tank with those lights.But if you can get the skimmer on the back of the tank,then it'll work fine.

Yeah, unfortunetly the only way for me to get the skimmer on the back of the tank, would be get rid of one of my filters. Which I don't think I want to do...? :-?

I've seen where some lights come with a different way of mounting the light. I assume theres no chance the Extreme Pro would?

-RYknow

If you have enough LR you might be able to get rid of one of the 400. Also you might want to remove the bio-wheel if you haven't already. I had a 400 running my 35 gallon and removed it after replacing it with move LR and a skimmer. So the skimmer is the only filtration I have besides the LR and Live sand. Good luck

i would do away with one of emperor hang on filters so you can fit protein skimmer back there, protein skimmer and live rock most important part of filtration for saltwater tank.

A protein skimmer will do tons better than either of the Emperors. In fact, once you get the skimmer running, I'd just remove the Emperors altogether. Like others have pointed out, they have a tendency to lead to nitrate problems.

Honestly,I would remove both Emperors.Add the skimmer, additional powerheads or circulations pumps if needed,buy a cheap phosphate reactor($40) to occasionally run phosphate media or carbon or both.The live rock makes a better bio-filter than the Emperors so eventually add another 50lbs.

If you put the two 400s on the sides at each end the light fixture will sit nicely on them without the legs. You will even still be able to access the filter media without moving the light. The 400s configured like this gives good flow and surface agitation since they are basically pointed at each other.

This is generally how I run a sump-less tank. You can use filter media in one both or neither. Now there is plenty of room to hang a skimmer on back. The only hassle when set up like this is getting the splash guard out of the light for cleaning.

I would definitely dump one of the filters in favor of a skimmer... after adding a skimmer to my tank, the filter hardly gets dirty at all... but the skimmer pulls some seriously nasty junk out of the water. And of course, I don't have to buy filter media for the skimmer, so it saves me money in the long run. :bounce:

Awesome!! I didn't realize that the skimmer did such a good job! I've seen pics and whatnot so I know they do pull out quite a bit of junk, but I didn't realize how much.

So as far as these octopus HOB Skimmers go, which would you guys recommend? I'd like to stick to the $200-$250 range. If there is a better skimmer in that price range thats not a octopus, feel free to post it!

I'm hoping to decide and pick up a skimmer in the next two or three weeks.

-RYknow

The 300f looks awesome!!! Is it a loud unit? What kind of maintenance is involved with a skimmer, aside from cleaning out the collection cup?

Eventually (much further down the road), I'd like to upgrade to a sump. Would this skimmer still perform well in a sump application (I don't see why it wouldn't)?

-RYknow

From my understanding,that Octopus skimmer will not work in the sump.The two pumps are to drive the needlewheel/venturi.It doesn't use a pump to draw water into the skimmer body but uses a siphon action.It should work really well since it has a surface skimmer.

Looks like a nice skimmer, but it's a little out of my price range. Is there any other places that carry this skimmer? Seems like it might be a fairly new company or something?

-RYknow

Anyone here use the bermuda rogue? Seems like the people using it at RC LOVE it! For the money I think the Bermuda would be my best bet. It's more then I wanted to spend, but I think it's a good investment. Specially if I want our tank to grow.

-RYknow

Back