More Par38 Questions

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I'm getting very close to purchasing a Par38 bulb for my 10g and just want to get some final opinions on the various bulbs / companies. So which Par38 bulb do you have (company), what is the mix of blues/whites/other that you have, how long have you had it, and how are your corals doing under it? Any downside to the specific bulb you have so far?

I'm am pretty close to going with the Par38 bulb from Rapid LED, which has 6 royal blue, 2 blue, 2 neutral white, and 2 cool white cree LEDs, but don't want the purples/reds/pinks to fade in my 10g as they have under the AIs in my 90g. The RapidLED bulb fits my price range but isn't full spectrum, yet some of the full spectrum or dimmable bulbs out there are either too expensive or have pretty mixed reviews in terms of burning out or over heating. Which way to go?? :dunno:

Thanks!

I personally know the guys at Rapid. All they do is aquarium lighting. You are safe with one of their Par38 bulbs.

As for your AI's, the reason you are losing color is because those fixtures are lacking in the cooler blue range of the spectrum. Most people running them are finding much better success adding T5 supplementation and adding Actinic bulbs in the 420-460 range.

I personally know the guys at Rapid. All they do is aquarium lighting. You are safe with one of their Par38 bulbs.

As for your AI's, the reason you are losing color is because those fixtures are lacking in the cooler blue range of the spectrum. Most people running them are finding much better success adding T5 supplementation and adding Actinic bulbs in the 420-460 range.

Yeah, I've been doing so much reading on the AI supplementation and am planning to do UV led additions from RapidLED - been in touch with them and everything, just low on extra funds right now to do so! [I also took your suggestion and really looked into the T5s, but I think to make that option work I would need a completely different canopy on my tank, and the cost of that plus the t5 modification works out to be a lot more than adding the UV leds instead]

Anyhow, do you think 6 royal blues will be enough to cover the low end of the blue spectrum on the Par38, even though there aren't any UVs in the mix?

My Rapid LED bulb has four blues, two cool white and one warm white. This bulb has been discontinued for the one they have now, as you probably know. My corals seem to be doing well except for the mushroom which I think was getting too much light and is now under a rock shelf. Im thinking of raising it an inch. I think I underestimated it's power.
Even though I like the bulb, the new one they have looks better than mine. I would go for it if I were you.

I think you are going to want some UV in it. That was the biggest con on LED lighting leading up to these newer fixtures on the market today.

As for your canopy. You could always put in a retro like I did. Just mount the ballastson the side (inside), and mount the end caps and stand offs.

I spoke to RapidLED and adding UV's to the Par38 bulb isn't an option. So, now the question is do I go with the regular Par38 and risk color washout, or do I go with one of the other full-spectrum bulbs?

For those with the full-spectrum bulbs, how are they working for you?

Back