more powerhead placement help

Tang77

nomadic reefer
I never felt I found the best placement for these powerheads, to get flow along the sandbed as well as throughout the rest of my tank (37gal). The bottom 2 are Koralia evolution 550's and the top is a Koralia hydor 750. Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 2012 012.jpg
    2012 012.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,338
Thank you little_fish, I appreciate that...I wouldn't say that I have junk collecting on the bottom, but it seems like I have more dead spots (judging by where the substrate is cleaner than other areas) than I should for the 3 powerheads that are in there. Maybe I have them angled poorly or not at the right height on the sides of the tank?

you can always mess with where they are pointed, I am one of those people who is never totally satisfied with my powerheads, so I am always moving stuff around

I too have a 37 gallon tank. 30"Wx12"Dx22"H

I have been trying to figure out what I needed for powerheads. I am thinking of Hydor Koralia's for now and maybe upgrade to something more expensive later. The Ecotech MP10 looked cool but some people complained about the noise.

My question, what should I get? 2 750s? 2 550s? 3 nano 425's or is Tang77's solution the perfect one for my tank size, 1 750 and 2 550s? Any thoughts?

-Capt. Ron

If you can afford the MP10, go with it. They might complain about the noise, but the benefits so far outweigh the possible chance of noise. I personally havent known of noise problem with the people that have them.

If you cant, then go with Tang's combo. Its better to have more flow than less, and with more powerheads its easier to get even flow everywhere.

That's not a very big tank. I'd go with 2 powerheads over 3. They just take up too much space (especially in a small tank).

So if I went with 2 powerheads, should I go with 2 550s, 1 750 1 550 or 2 750s?

I'm worried about creating too strong of a current in the tank (tiring out the fish or kicking up sand.) Or maybe I worry too much.

I'm still debating on the MP10...

-Capt. Ron

I haven't really heard of any noise issues with the MP10 either, an Ecotach upgrade is definitely coming soon. The powerheads I have now leave more of a foot print than I want. As soon as my refug/sump is completed I will be able to take out the Koralia 750 at the top, my overflow and return line should create enough surface agitation I would think.

No! Don't tell me about an upcoming mp10 upgrade! I'll pretend I didn't hear that. After talking with my wife we're going to try the MP10. Thank you Tang and everyone else for your thoughts and advice.

The world's slowest aquarium build inches slowly forward :mrgreen:

-Captain Ron

Back