More questions and looking for input.

Grassman

Reefing newb
Input;

If anyone has seen my build thread you'll notice I have a 35 gallon for my sump/refugium. I've been told that the area for my dsb is too small to do NNR(natural nitrate reduction). The dimensions of my DSB are 7" long x 12" wide x 14" deep empty. So if it if too small, should I remove the 35 from under my stand and use the space for storage and build a 55 gallon system and change my pumping to go 7 feet over and into the closet and have it sitting in there? I'm not sure my wife would like the piping running across the wall and into the closet, but the plus side of it would be my house sump is in there and i could drill an overflow in the side of the tank incase the hydro goes out and I won't have a flood in my basement.

I'd like everyone's thoughts on this as my pump is suppose to be coming in on thursday and I'd like to get everything moved into my tank so I don't have to lay on the floor to look at it and become so relaxed that I fall asleep laying there.

Questions;

Info.

IF my pump comes in Thursday I want to get it plumbed and move everything this weekend. I purchased a 50lb bag of CaribSea Dry Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand for the substrate in my tank and to use it and their sugar sand in my dsb (I got the sugar sand for my friend at the LFS for free from a tank he was taking down.) I have it sitting in saltwater now as I've rinsed the new stuff and the other stuff is in a pail also. I'm not using the sustrate from the tank I bought as it's gravel that you'd use in a FW setup. I'm going to be adding about 20 gallons of fresh saltwater to fill my sump and about another 10 for the DT when I move everything. As it's down 5 gallons and my tank is about another 5 gallons higher.

Question.
1. Can I just move the Clean Up Crew, Live Stock, Water, and Live Rock from the tank I bought to my tank or is there anything I should do first?

2. Both tanks I built last year have not had water in them for a year. Should I leak test them again or should they still be fine?

My thanks in advance,

im so confused....

1. dont understand the question
2. it should be fine but i would to another leak test anyway... you can never be too safe

im so confused....

1. dont understand the question
2. it should be fine but i would to another leak test anyway... you can never be too safe

LOL, and I tried to make it simple. LOL. Guess I put too much info. I was tired. I bought and established 55 gallon tank and want to move everything from it to my setup. I'm going to be using a 35 gallon sump, which will be new water along with 10 gallons of new water in tank I'm moving it to. The subsrate in the moving to tank is not live. Can I just move everything but the substrate from the established tank to the new tank or do I have to do anything because of the amount of new water I'm using?

I don't believe in DSBs and there have been scientific studies that have said they do not help. Also, DSBs can be become a trap full of hydrogen sulfide. The best thing to put in a refugium is cheato and rock.

I don't believe in DSBs and there have been scientific studies that have said they do not help. Also, DSBs can be become a trap full of hydrogen sulfide. The best thing to put in a refugium is cheato and rock.

How much LR should I use? I have a small pieces I was going to put in with my return pump.

If you are going to be transferring rock over, I think you will be okay. Most of the beneficial bacteria in our tanks are on the rock and sand, not in the water. So as long as you are using established rock, you should be good to go.

Back