moss

Fishnbutch

Reefing newb
hello, ive got what looks like green moss growing on some of my rocks and was wondering if anybody knows of something that might eat this or someway to get rid of it. It dosnt look like algee and i dont have algee anywhere else except some lightly on my glass now and then, I have a algee scrubber, and a protien skimmer in my refugium and all my tests are good, thanks ahead for any info.

Google green/brown hair algae. Does it look like that?
How long as your tank been up and running?
If you're just starting it out like your experience says, it most likely will be from the different cycles and algae blooms that you will get. But its always good to get on top of these things right as you notice them.

i had a very small hair algae problem start in my tank, and all I did was water changes and put in a very big clean up crew with different hermits, snails, urchins, and a nudibranch. It was all gone from the sand, glass, and rocks in about a week. Just my solution to it. But I like having a big CUC either way.

i dont know what hair algee looks like but this looks like moss in the woods, my tank has been running about 8 monnths and I have a cuc but they dont seem t eat this

the web says to remove phos. and nitrates to combat the situation but my tests are negative and I'm running dr tims pearls in a media reactor

the algae will eat up all the nitrates and phosphates in the making your tests have false negatives. Pretty much if you have algae, you have nitrates and phosphates.

Yea that's what I meant in my post, to google it.

But I still got rid of mine with those methods..What do you have for your CUC, how long has your tank been up, how much hair algae is there, when do you do water changes?

my tank has been up for about 8 months , I change about 25 gals a week, I have blue and red leg hermit crabs, snails, starfish, urchins, I guess I'll get some more snails and look into the herbivorous fish. thanks everybody for the great info I'll let you know how it comes out.

What kind of water are you using? Tap/well water or RO/DI? If you're using tap or well water, you might want to switch to RO/DI or distilled water. Tap and well water can have stuff in them that algae thrives on. You can get RODI from your LFS, or distilled at walmart. For a large tank, it would be more convenient and cheaper in the long run to get an RO/DI unit for your home.

I have turbo snails, blue and red leg hermits,cerith snails, serpent stars, spiney urchins, 3 cleaner shrimp, 1 blood shrimp, 1 coral beauty anglefish, 1 yellow tang, 1 copperband butterfly fish, 1 flame hawkfish, 1 longnose hawkfish, 1 goldenhead sleeper goby, 3 firefish goby's, 1 sixline wrasse, 1 royal dottyback, 2 true percula clowns, 1 kauderns cardinal, 2 pajama cardinals, 3 talbots damsels, a pink bubble anemone, a long tentacle anemone, and misc. corals

Back