mouth fungus??

Dustyrose

Reefing newb
I had a couple of clown fish, one male one female. The male died after a couple of days, no idea why. The water is fine. I had it tested when I bought the fish. When I first got these two, I noticed the female had a little whiteness on the bottom of her mouth, almost looked like a white gotee. Gradually it got longer and in about a week's time, it turned grayish. Today the fish died. Up until he died, he was actually acting fine, eating ok, swimming around. The only other fish in the tank right now is a fiji puffer fish, which I've had for quite awhile.

If you remember I had some posting before with issues about red algae, I'm happy to note that with the changing of the water, 10 gallons every week with RO water seems to be doing the trick!! Algae is almost completely gone. I did get rid of the trigger, damsel and tomato clown as to get these to other clowns.. now I"m wishing I hadn't.

Anyways, I'm just a lil concerned about what this clown had on its mouth and if I should treat the tank with something to the puffer doesn't get it. I do not see any signs on him at all. Thanks!!

Dusty

My guesses are
Mouth fungus, or Cotton Wool Disease

Symptoms
At first, this bacteria-spread disease causes off-white marks around a fish's mouth, fins or other parts of the body. Gradually, infected white regions spread more densely around the mouth, and red ulcers appear on other parts of the body. Fins also become frayed.

Brooklynellosis-
Most similar symptomatically to Oodinium, this too is a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset fish may scrap up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Fish become lethargic, refuse to eat, and colors fade, but the most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced. As the disease progresses a thick whitish mucus covers the body, usually starting at the head and spreading outward, skin lesions appear, and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.

Do not treat unless there is a need. if you do not know then dont do anything. anytime you treat for whatever, you need to identify what you think you have and only then put additives in the system. as for the description of fish that died and based on your description:

COLUMNARIS - This bacteriaol disease if often confused with fungus since both diseases have similar symptoms. Nearly all marine fish "fungal" symptoms are actually bacterial in origin. Many times the bacterium is columnaris. Therefore, a rule of thumb for fungal symptoms is to treat marine and livebearer fish according to Bacterial Infection.

The fuzzy puffs of columnaris, usually around the gills, mouth, or in open sores and wounds are actually strings of bacteria, not fungus. The best way to diagnose columnaris is to net the fish and place it on a clean, wet towel, gently ligt the fish's operculum (gill cover) with a tongue depressor and examine the gill filaments under a magnifying glass. If you spot erosion at the tip of the gill filaments, the fish most likely has columnaris. Do not keep the fish out of the water for more than one minute.

Columnaris is found in tanks that have poor water quality. therefore, to prevent columnaris, maintain proper water conditions. (do not purchase any fish that shows signs of any defects.

Symptoms: Close examination of gills reveal erosion at the filamnet tips. The affected fish has mucus or small string like puffs on its gills, opercula, mouth or skin, and may exhibit rapid breathing.

Treatment is same as for bacterial infection.

Back