Moving a tank - need logistics advice

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,

Finally the water on the temporary tank is ready...(only took 5 days for the cloudy water to clear up.)

But finally...I am ready to begin moving stuff over.

Some details... the new tank currently has brand new salt water. (instant ocean). The sand is minimal (1 - 20lb bag of live sand) newly purchased. I was planning on ditching the sand in my existing 33 (been setup for 9 months)

1st question. - should I ditch the sand?

Now on to logistics question... what is the easiest way to do this move.. Obviously I have many corals that have grown over the rocks, many that are glued to the rocks.

My thoughts were drain my 33 by 1/3 and fill with fresh saltwater. (put the drained tank water into a tote)

Then move one side of the tank. First, moving the rocks with the corals on it into the tote with the water I just took from the tank.

Second, move the more base rock directly into the new tank.

Now....I go back to the 33 gallon and move the other sides's coral rocks onto the side I just cleared in the 33 so I can get at the base rocks on that side. I would then move those base rocks into the new tank.

So here... I would now have corals from one side of the tank (on rocks) in a tote. Corals from the other side still in the 33. All base rock is now in the new tank.

From here I get "paranoid" what is the best way to get these into the new tank? Should I drip acclimate the tote full of corals and then move it in. Then drain another 1/3 of water from the 33 into another tote and move the corals in the tank still to that...then drip acclimate those.

Or..... should I just try and dose the new tank to get it to match my existing tank exactly?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

I would ditch the old sand.

I don't think you need to drip acclimate the corals. As long as the temp and pH are similar, you will be okay.

You should stop using instant ocean salt, there's nothing in that salt for your corals. Good luck with the move.

On my last tank change,I didnt acclimate anything to the new tank.Just made sure the salinity,PH,and temp was right.

Back