Moving a Tank...Possibly Downsizing in the Process

Jenna09

Reefing newb
Hi everyone

So sometime between July-September my boyfriend and I are moving into a house we have purchased and are currently fixing up.

I have a 110 gallon tall tank and I will be moving it to the new house.

I am considering downsizing this reef tank to make the move easier. Currently I only have rock that goes up 3/4 of the way in the tank anyways so I am thinking of sticking with a 4' wide tank just not as tall.

What is the best way to transport my tank inhabitants?

I already have a spot picked out on the mainfloor for the tank. I am thinking it would be wise to do a large "water change" and just bring that water over to the new tank? And do that several times?

I am not looking forward to this and I am already dreading it. I have not moved my rocks in I dont know how many years and I dont want to loose any corals!

The only plus is, if I do go the new/downsize tank route I will be putting my 110 in the basement and will be setting up a predator tank!!!!! Porcupine puffer and triggers!!!!!!!:bounce:

Thanks
Jenna

Forgot to ask this...if I get a new smaller tank, would it be wise to get one that has a covered top? I dont want to ruin the new wood floors with the salt creeps lol!

Jenna

Dont sweat it I have moved my 180gal 3 times! it sucks but i have never lost a fish. you will want to retain about 3/4 of the volume of the water you have in your current tank. dont skimp on that and make up about 25% new water. since you are moving to a new tank i dont really reccomend trying to use the same sand. it could stir up some unwanted nutrients. i would lay it down with some new sand and transfer over all your existing liverock (or most of it if your new tank cant hold it all) and just let everytihng back in when you have it all up and running. make sure you fisn have good containers for transport and that there are no large rocks that could potentially smash them in the move. If they are giong to he hanging out in the containers for hours on end in the process i would throw a powerhead in the container while you are setting up your new tank just to kee some movement and o2 going in the water. it will help out a lot as they will def be stressed out. good luck and if you want feel free to pm me any detailed questions as i have done this 3 times and also 3 times with an 80 gal and 2 times with a 36 gal.

Forgot to ask this...if I get a new smaller tank, would it be wise to get one that has a covered top? I dont want to ruin the new wood floors with the salt creeps lol!

Jenna
that all depends on how much you neglect your tank. as long as you wipe off your salt deposits with reg maintainence you will be just fine. covered tops can be great for potential jumping fish but can be bad for needed gas exchanges and can decrease your light penetration, however if you have a sump set in place you will be fine on gas exchange. so ultimately i would say that is up to you. but if it were me, unless you ahve a jawfish or somethink like that I would just keep it open.

Thanks Alexander.

When I get closer to the moving date and sure exactly what I am doing I will pm you any questions.

Thanks again
Jenna

Back