Moving Fish and Corals?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Hey guys, so I am strongly thinking about relocating across the country in about a year. I know this is really far off, but I'm just looking for some info now to take into consideration as I start to think through the logistics of this. I think I will sell off most of corals, fish, rocks and tank, but want to keep a few high end pieces and fish, along with most of my equipment. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully moved corals and fish across the country before and if so how you managed to do so? I'm thinking either buckets with battery powered air pumps and a fan/heater plugged into a car inverter to regulate temp, with some live rock in each of the buckets. Or thinking about having a local reefer keep them temporarily and then send them in cargo on a plane or via fed ex once I'm settled. What do you guys think?

When I moved from Flordia to WV I rented the largest Uhaul they had and in the very back I had a battery with some power addapters into trash cans housing Heaters and Air Stones. Kept everything including my Anemone alive.

Sell it all and start over.
Unless you've got something really rare or sentimental, it's not worth the hassle, and it's an opportunity to take what you've learned with this tank and apply it to the next build.

Sell it all, and start over. Every LFS can order shit for you, even if their selection sucks. Keep all the equipment (and even the tank if you want). Live stock and Corals can be replaced.

Sell it all and start over.
Unless you've got something really rare or sentimental, it's not worth the hassle, and it's an opportunity to take what you've learned with this tank and apply it to the next build.

Yeah, I think almost everything will get sold. But I do have a few rare corals (red dragon, hallucination palys, several other high end zoas that I got for pretty low prices and don't want to pay an arm and a leg for to own again) and one sentimental coral (my australomussa) that I don't want to part with. I also don't want to part with my domino clowns - perfectly marked pair that I got for only $85 - won't find a deal like that again - and I'm also pretty darn attached to my tang.

As far as the tank, I fully plan to sell it and go bigger, but might start out with something like a 75 as a holding tank for the couple of corals and the clowns and maybe the tang until I get settled and get a new tank up and running, which won't be a fast process if I'm looking to go big.

I also am making a long distance move, Clarksville tn to el paso tx. I however, am not parting out anything. I have talked to a few people who have done it and it is possible. But then again, I only have a 10 and a 3 to move. Good luck Fishy!

That would be a very difficult move at best. My decision would be based on this-----Would I be more upset selling everything or attempting to bring some things with me and risk losing something during the trip? That is over 3000 miles and two hard days of driving---- Whewwwwww, that would be tough!

Sell the livestock. Keep the equipment. Used equipment doesn't sell for a lot and you will have to spend more to buy new equipment,

Back