moving! fish tank help and rodi unit!

shahrzad1893

Reefing newb
So in the next couple months im going to be moving... again... for the 7th time in the past what 3 years. :grumble:

I was wondering if I can buy an RODI unit instal it here so i can get my water quality better before i move. And then remove it and take it to the new house?

Also the last time I moved my tank there were some... casualtys :( (one of the reasons that my cleaning crew disapeared)
what's the best way to move my tank with the least amount of stress possible for the fish and everything?

I am not sure about moving the tank, but I will have to be doing this soon, in the middle of a Chicago winter too!

As for the RODI I have a portable unit, one that hooks to the faucet in the kitchen. I got mine from here: P U R E W A T E R C L U B The site wont let me post a direct link but it was under the portable section.

If you have washer/dryer hookups, you can set the unit up there and you wouldn't need to modify any plumbing.

It's easy to set it up and move it. You just have to replace the parts that you put holes into -- so the cold water line, and the drain. When I moved out of my last house, I replaced the cold water line, but I just sealed the hole in the drain up with some silicone, as there isn't any water pressure on it. It worked fine.

Yep when I moved, I drained my 75 gallon tank in to another 75 gallon tank on the trailer. Then added some water in 7 totes where I put all my live rock.Then the fish were last I put them all in a bucket with the snails. I moved My display tank to the trailer, If you have access to where you can get another tank or alot of totes or buckets depending on the size of your tank..... Then I used the siphin to drain some of the water back in to the display tank so the tanks were about half full. If you have live rock with corals on them use buckets or totes and they should be ok. Unplug ur heater before doing any of this and let your tank sit w no heat for at least 20 mins before you get your stuff out of there. The change of weather from going inside, outside and not being heated for that long did nothing to my corals and fish. you can look at my pictures if you like to see my corals and frags. I set everything back up and put everything in how I wanted it and Its still doing great! Mind you I moved mine in the fall, weather was kind of chilly mid 50's or so..... I hope this helps ya!

as far as the RODI When I installed mine at my old house I used a Saddle Valve which you can get at ace hardware or true value for like & bucks this pierces your water line and in your case buy 2 of them. Hook it up to your water line and turn the valve in and then you turn it out to open the valve up when you move just twist the valve back all the way in and remove your water line for your RODI unit and your good to go! hook up your new one at your new place just the same and there ya go!

My tank took me a 2 hours to tank down and 9 to put back up my corals and fish were all fine. I used 7 totes 2 75 gallon tanks and 5 buckets.

Last edited:
We are getting ready to do the same thing, but our tanks are all less than 25 gallons. Check with your lfs, ours offered to loan us buckets and styrofoam crates and such to help us move the animals safely. They told us the quicker the better, so we figure they are last thing we move :twocents:. Hope the move goes well. Send some tips, ours is in Jan. Best of luck.

I talked to my LFS, and asked if they would prepare all my livestock for a move. They told me yes, they'd bag and box them whenever I was ready.

Back