Moving from tank to tank

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
I'm thinking setting up the new tank like a new tank. New water, new sand mix with a little old sand getting from a small area from the old tank. A few LR from the old tank. Let the new tank to sit for a few days and monitor the water parameter. If everything looks ok, then move all the LR first and the fish last? What's the best way to do it?

I think you will need some time for it to cycle, more than "a few days" The sand will have to cycle and become alive. That alone will take several weeks to become established. Then I would move the LR and wait some more time and test, and then the fish.

You risk a cycle every time you move to a new tank.
You could cycle it and a complete new set up.But when you start taking rock from your established tank,your going to stir up the crud thats under the rock which can kick off a cycle there.
What I've done on all my moves,is use as much of the old water as possible.Move everything at once,including the fish and corals.Yeah,theres still the risk of a cycle,but the risk in the new tank after the move is a lot less than the established tank when all that stuff gets stired up.

That make sense.

How do you move the LR to minimize it expose to air? Or you just kinda just do it quick and pick them up and put them into buckets?

That is correct Wes. Kinda do it quick and pick them up and put them into buckets....
There's no really great way. And yote is right you'll probably have some sort of cycle. Our systems are so delicate as they are and that's when they are untouched.

You can either move the rock in buckets and try to keep them submerged in water (HEAVY!), or you can take some newspaper and soak the newspaper in tank water, then cover the rocks in the wet newspaper instead. Of course, keeping the rock submerged would be the best way to protect the life on it, but sometimes that's not feasible and the next best thing is covering it with wet paper.

Back