Moving houses

cpow88

Reefing newb
Hello,

In roughly a month I will be moving but will only be staying in the new house for about 4 months until i move once again whereby I should be staying in that house for 2 years or so. I have a 65 gallon tank that has been set up for just over 3 months. I do not want to move a 65 gallon tank for only 4 months then move it again seems a lot of work.

So my idea is to set up a spare 30 gallon tank I have laying around at my new house and move my livestock into it and keep my 65g still step up in my parents house but without any fish.

So my real question is what equipment is required to stay on my 65 gallon if its only going to have substrate and LR in it? Also what portion of my CUC should I leave in the 65 gallon?

Currently I have 2 powerheads, heater, 2 HOB 110 Aquaclear power filters (one converted into a fuge and one just running chem-elite) and a coralife skimmer.

Can I take some of this equipment off and transfer it to my 30 gallon (which I only have a heater for)? Do I need a skimmer for my 30?

I only have 2 clowns and a cleaner shrimp and CUC atm so im not in danger of overstocking my 30 gallon. I have no corals as of yet but planning up picking up my first zoas before I move.

Sorry for the long read!
Chris

You should be fine just leaving a powerhead and heater in your 65 to keep your rocks live. I would keep lights off for those months so that you don't have an algae outbreak, and I would still do an occasional water change. You might want to leave a few snails in the 65, but I'm not sure so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

As far as the 30, your clowns and shrimp will be just fine in that tank. Make sure to move some of your live rock over to that tank as well. I don't think you need to set up the skimmer on that tank but I would keep the fuge on it.

Also, when you do get ready to move your 65, I would ditch the substrate and get a new batch.

Good luck & welcome!

Back