Moving into the new tank today... nervous.

breebauer

Reefing newb
I know that I've asked how to do this before, but I'm more than a little nervous about moving into the new tank.

I have my new aquapod halfway set up so far:
right now it's full with fresh salt water and new LS

The plan is:

1) take 1/2 of the water from my existing tank, put it in a 5 gal bucket, and put my corals and 2 fish in there with a heater and powerhead

2) take 1/2 of the water out of the aquapod, and replace it with the rest of the water from my existing tank.

3) take some (1 cup?) sand from the existing tank, and put it in the new one.

4) put all of my LR from the existing tank into the new one, right away

After that, wait overnight, and test the water. Will that be a long enough time to see if I'm going to have any kind of cycle?

If there is a spike, how long can my fish and corals last in the bucket?

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Sounds like a plan to me. I highly doubt you will see a cycle if you are using some of the old water and sand and all of the live rock. Your fish and corals will be fine in the bucket overnight.

Originally I had planned on using all of my old sand but I had been told by a few people that it was best to get new sand, and seed it with a little bit of the old sand. Which is fine with me, my old sand is pretty grungy.

I'm thinking that moving all of the old sand might cause a whole new cycle from all of the disturbance? Maybe that's why most people say to get new sand.

All of this sounds so easy until you actually have to do it. Even though I've already asked the same question, I feel like I need someone standing next to me telling me exactly what to do, and when to do it.

Thanks again everyone for being so patient with the reeftard on Christmas!

sounds like a plan. take lots of pics to show us your progress. It took about 6 hours to set up my 90. I imagine it won't take quite that long. good luck

-Doc

So far, it looks like I did it right. Thanks for all of the help!

It's been a few days and my water levels are good, no spike, and nothing died!

I still have all of my corals sitting on the sandbed so they can get used to the new light. Maybe in another day or two, I'll arrange them on the rock.

I think my two firefish are still pretty pissed at me. They won't come out at all unless I leave the room. They don't want to see the inside of a bucket ever again. Hopefully they'll get over it soon and be sociable again...

The anxiety attack is over. You guys were right, it wasn't so hard, after all!

I have pics of the process that I'll put in a different thread. But here's 2 quick ones:

My new box o' rocks (Aquascape: take #248 :grumble:)
sand is still settling

Dec2607005.jpg

New box o' rocks, coral on the floor, and some invisible firefish:

Dec2607028.jpg

That's the best I could do so far...

Is 4 days long enough to let the corals adjust to the new light? (I don't want to move them until it's ok.)

Looks great Bree.
If you ever get done with the aqua-scaping,please let me know the secret.Seems like I'm always moving this rock or that coral.Just cant seem to get it right.

Back