Moving Live Rock

NMay

Reefing newb
Last night I got my tank from eBay and it's all setup at home, however during the process of doing this the tank was too murky for me to see where I was putting the live rock before I put the fish in.

The fish had to be put in as they'd been out for a long time and now that the water has settled can you recommend a safe way to move the live rock? Should I setup my small holding tank with my spare heater briefly to move as many of the fish as i can get into and then move the rock or just be careful as I tred?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site...you don't have to remove the fish, just be careful when placing the rocks. The fish will move out of your way when you're in there working.

Make sure when you put the rock in you move the sand so the rock is sitting on the bare glass. That way no one can burrow underneath and cause a rock slide.

I don't quite understand though.. you got the tank from ebay last night? And you then immediatly added fish and are now adding live rock? I'm thinking your tank is going to cycle ...

Normally you add live rock first, wait for the tank to cycle and then slowly add fish

maybe there is something i'm not understanding about how you set things up though

I think that the fish came with the tank.

Watch out for a cycle since you moved everything around. Have some water on hand to do water changes if the ammonia and nitrites get too high

Am I being stupid?

I sort of assumed as its the same tank, same water, same rock, same fish, same equipment that there wouldn't be too many problems with it.

Although I am new to the whole fish keeping.

Let me know but I'll be sure to do some tests on the water tonight to check all the different levels.

When you move a tank, stuff can get stirred up and cause a mini cycle. It shouldnt be too bad, but just be prepaired just in case.

when you empty a tank bacteria on the tank wall dies, stuff will die on the liverock when you take it out of water (sponges etc), detritus in the sand will get stired up.

all this stuff can cause a cycle but hopefully the transfer was a short time. Just do what bjohanson said and keep testing your ammonia and nitrites and have premixed salt water ready to do water changes.

It's all done already so no point to stress about it :x:

Back