Moving My Tank

prthd

Reefing newb
I am going to be moving my tank, and I have a few questions.

1. Im concerned for the fish. What should I do with them.
2. I currently have gravel, I want to swithch to sand. Can I do this.
3. The tank is going on an outside wall, will weather (Ohio) effect it?

Tank is going to be moved across the room for the most part. What issues will I have. Any info would help.

1. Just move them to a holding tank, either a rubbermaid or a small tank. Then can live for the day or so it takes to move the tank

2. Yep.

3. Weather can have an effect on an exterior wall tank but as long as you a couple of good heaters and decent insulation in your house you should be fine.

If you are careful with how long your rock is out of the water it shoudn't be that bad. I would also use fresh salt water. Using fresh substrate is also a good idea, and you're doing that by switching to sand instead of using your old gravel.

I have a water filtration system in the house. I use it for the tank, what ratio of "fresh" water should I use. Should I save most / all of the tank water?

Personally, I would use 100% new water. Thats what I did when I transfered my fish from my 30 gallon to a 20 gallon holding tank for 4 days and then to my 90 gallon custom.

Also, the water filtration system for the house is not perfect for reef tanks. The R/O house system will leave some minerals in the water which helps with the taste of the water. For a reef tank you want the water totally pure and we achieve that through a second filter called a Deionization or DI filter. You may want to investigate how to add one to your system or consider a dedicated system for your aquarium. The minerals left in the water by the home RO system can lead to algae in your tank.

Personally, I would use 100% new water. Thats what I did when I transfered my fish from my 30 gallon to a 20 gallon holding tank for 4 days and then to my 90 gallon custom.

Really?
I'll be trying to save as much current established water as possible for my move. My goal would be around 50% but I dunno if I'll have enough containers.

I would think that using 100% fresh saltwater during such an otherwise stressful time might not be the healthiest for the fish. We moved our tank about a year ago. We siphoned most (3/4) of the existing water into a Rubbermaid and added the fish to it with a couple air stones and a heater. We moved the tank and added 1/4 of tank volume of fresh saltwater back into it. Then added the fish and topped off with the old saltwater from the rubbermaid and left the light off for a day. Everyone lived happily and healthily and the amount of new saltwater was similar to a standard WC

whenever I move a tank I looked to save around 50% of the water... I got some of the rubbermaid 20 gallon containers lined them with a black bag threw the top on and moved.. I do however change out all the sand... You more then likely will get a small cycle so be ready for it but keeping as much of the water and liverock ( in the water) will hopefully keep it to a minimum..

Last edited:
Yeah, I did a 100% replacement of water, plus a 100% change in live rock (Marco rock that I had been curing in a garbage can for 6 weeks), and had no issues at all. I did add a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria. I really don't think a 100% water change will be an issue as long as your fresh water is of good levels. There are a lot of folks that do 50% weekly or biweekly water changes. To me I see it as an opportunity to rid the tank of excess nutrients, algae spores, etc. that may be in the water column.

Do not replace 100% of the water. I'd keep as much as possible. New water can have a substantially different ph, different salinity (esp if measured at diff. Temps) and a different alkalinity. I'd try to save 75% of the old water like the others said.

Depends on if you want a deep sand bed or not. You'd be able to cover the bottom by getting about 75 lbs, depending on your tank dimensions.

Another thing that helped minimize the cycle when I moved my 75 gal to my new house was this stuff called prime. It helps neutralize small ammonia spikes. Can't say for sure how effective it was but nothing died on me and I stirred up a lot of gunk.

whats the best sand to use.

Thats totally personal preference. The only thing to keep in mind is the smaller the grain size, the more easily it will blow around under strong water flow. However smaller grain size is good for sand sifting critters.

Back