Moving My Tank

I have moved tanks across town with no problem. the water is live so keep at least 50%
Use totes for your live rock and keep it covered with tank water.
when switching over to sand if it is not live then ask around for small amounts of live sand from an established tank or tanks to seed the sand.
good luck with the move.

first thing to go in, if it is in a bag just pore it in then add your water. if it is wet or in a bucket be careful not to just let it drop in you don't want to crack it. You can add live sand from an established tank or tanks to seed it at any time.

put the liverock on the bottom first before any sand goes in....then sand then the rest of your rock then water.. The sand being live wont matter in the move if replacing it all it will turn live quickly..:D

Last edited:
Marcah,
I have never done it that way, I just put the rock on top of the sand. I use 3 or 4 in of sand and didn't want to cover the live rock with sand. do you have die off on the rock when doing that?

with every thing up and running give it 20 min then float the fish and acclimate them and you are good to go. The water might take some time to clear up all the way

the sand shifts and moves (some say dissolves) over time and not saying it will happen but can cause rockslides killing either the fish corals or breaking the glass on the tank.. there is a link that was posted not long ago of a tank that had a rockslide...

I agree -- the rocks should be on the glass. They are more stable that way. If you put the rocks on top of the sand, all you need is a snail or goby digging in the sand to cause a shift, and a rockslide can ensue.

Nah, it'll be cloudy, not much you can do. It might take even more than a day for it to all settle out, depending on the consistency. Not a big deal. Should have mentioned this earlier, but keep the lights off for a day - it'll help the fish deal with the stress better.

Back