moving tank

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
So since im at college now, about an hour away from home, im not sure what the best way to go abour breaks from school is. For christmas, ill probably be bringing the tank home, but i was wondering what the best way to go about it is. Or if thre is some autofeeder type of thing for saltwater so i wouldnt have to take the whole tank apart and move it... Any ideas? This isnt just for christmas but also spring break... etc.

We hire someone to come into our house and watch our cats when we go on vacations. Do you have a friend or neighbor that could check on things for you?

Catherine

There might be a way, I'm a newbie myself, things are a little slow today. I don't think I would try to move a whole tank just for a couple of weeks though. Good luck with this one, I'll be someone will have an answer soon.

Catherine

I wouldn't try autofeeding for a month. If you don't have anyone to watch it for you, moving a small tank isn't too hard. I recommend keeping all your old water to lessen the chance of starting another cycle. If I were you, I'd pack the rock in a cooler, making sure to keep it wet. Leave the sand in the tank, and put your animals into a few styrofoam coolers.

How long of a drive is it from your school to home?

its about an hour drive, when i moved stuff before i had fish in 5gal buckets but i guess coolers work also.. im not worried as much about the 10gal but i was gonna upgrade to a 30 and i thats my main drawback on getting it because i dont know how i would move that...

like i said though... i wanna get a 30 over the hollidays, and i have a 2door sports car and most likely i would have a hell of a time fitting it in there, any ways around moving a 30 gal?

Find someone to take care of it while you're gone. All of the LFSs in my area have "tank sitting" services. You'll have to pay for it, but if you don't know anyone else who can do it, I don't see that you have a choice other than moving it.

I have my own place but driving back sounds like a pain, ill probably end up taking it back since I hopefully will upgrade to a 30gal tank

Back