Moving tank?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
We are about to start an update/remodel to our walkout basement. This is where my office area and fish tank are. We want to move it about 20 feet into another room. I realize this can't be done full. Guesstimating that the stand is about 300 lbs, the tank full is about 900 lbs and the sump full is around 120, even removing the water will still leave an enormous amount of weight. I really don't want to restart the tank either. So how can I do this? Has anyone relocated a tank over a small distance? Let me learn from your experience!

My move was only up 6" and over 2'. I just moved all my water and rock into buckets and clean rubbermaid tubs. Then when I had about 8" of water left I caught my fish. They all went into my spare tanks, (heaters and power heads for O2). I did leave them in the spare tanks overnight just to let the water reheat and make sure that I didn't have any cycle issues. I did end up removing all the sand due to the weight, much heavier then I thought it would be.

Once the tank was moved I pumped all the water back into the tank. (all my water changes will be done via pump rather then pouring the water into the tank now, SOOO much easier!) Once the tank was half full I put all the rock back in just to keep it wet. I did the aqua scape the next day.

You should remove any and all equipment out of the stand and the tank, loose cords are a tripping hazard :mrgreen:.

Kev

You are going to have to drain the tank and remove the rocks... Moving a tank with any amount of water in it is a no-no. Your best bet is to put them in 5 gallon buckets and move as quickly as you can. It shouldn't be a big deal since the rocks will stay wet. It will be really cloudy, though.

Yeah i moved my 55 gallon a total of about a foot and a half. Damn near popped out my shoulder too. Caused a mini cycle but it was quick and didnt spike very high at all.

50 lbs of sand is a hell of a lot heavier when wet then i thought lol. When you lift it be very aware of your back and make sure you lift with the knees. I can assure you it will be heavy.

Moral of the story, dont buy a cheap stand lol.

Back