Moving the Aquarium

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I haven't quite made up my mind, but I'm really considering moving my aquarium to another location in my house. Right now, my 46 gallon is in my bedroom, and I just can't sleep with all of the noise it makes. However, I'm dreading the disaster that moving the aquarium would bring.

So...
I want you all's opinion on which you think would be easier:

1. Breaking down the 46 Gallon into coolers. Breaking down the sump/fuge. Moving the aquarium stand to its new location. Setting back up the sump/fuge. And, then setting back up the aquarium.

OR

2. Buying either another 46 gallon or a 50 gallon aquarium and stand off of CL (they are the same width and very close in gallons so my lights and equipment should all fit perfect either way). Setting the new aquarium and stand up in the new location. Then just transferring stuff from the 46 over bit by bit.

*Also, I'm worried about causing an ammonia spike by stirring up the sand in the transfer; any suggestion? Actually, any help in general would be appreciated regarding moving an established reef tank. Thanks guys.

It wouldn't matter either way -- I'd personally just go with option 1 to save money on buying another tank. It shouldn't be too much trouble for you, just moving it across the house -- most of us have moved our tanks across cities with no problems. I would either clean the sand well, or use new sand when you set it up in its new location.

My tank got moved across the city when we bought it as an established tank. Only mistake we made was that we went a little light on water changes after it was moved and we ended up with an algae bloom.

I would also like to give you option 3. Set up a new 220gal tank! Just kidding but that would be cool. Like Biff said just go with option 1 and rinse out your sand to avoid a spike.

I would also like to give you option 3. Set up a new 220gal tank! Just kidding but that would be cool. Like Biff said just go with option 1 and rinse out your sand to avoid a spike.

Haha! Nice, VA!! :mrgreen: Oh man, the price tag that would be, though! :shock:

I would like to save money by just moving the 46; however, there is a 50 gallon w/ stand on CL. :question: Either way, it's kind of a relief to know that people have been through this without too much hassle...

Hey I'm just giving options ya know. My dream is a 1k gal tank ;) I wouldn't waste money on buying a new tank unless its a big upgrade or it's a steal and I would be using both tanks. You can also use cheap rubbermaids from wally world to help store water and fish while moving.

Back