Moving tips

FNG44601

Reefing newb
Still a ways away (5-6 mos). Moving the family back to civilization.... Chicago. So I'm just trying to get a laundry list of things I will need. Not trying to wait until the last minute, so anything of use u can think of that i'll need will help.
I'm very interested in keeping my livestock, a puffer, 2 clowns, banggai cardinal, pygmy angel,coral banded shrimp, emerald crabs and snails. Bubble coral also, waiting to buy more coral when we get there. The lfs here sux, he would take all of my crap and give me maybe a $10 credit.
So any tips on moving 5-6 hrs away- what to expect when I set up again etc... as always Greatly Appreciated

this is what i did when i moved i put all my live rock in coolers than filled them with water from my tank as i was draining it that way when i set back up i would have almost all my water. then i left some water in the sand so it would stay wet you can put you fish in a different cooler by using a cooler it will help to keep the temp more stable. i used about 4 coolers for my tank.

I live in the Elgin area, quite a few good stores. I would try the cooler method mentioned above or use some other kind of container. Everything should be fine. I myself will be moving to the other side of town, a short move but I have to move the tank. I'll let you know how it goes, it will be in a month. PM me if I forget

So the coolers seem to have it, and I guess my only other question is (and I think it's partially been answered) Should I try to keep as much of my original water as possible?
Would anyone recommend any way to heat it or I should be cool as long as I drive straight there?

i would try to keep as much as you can. keep the fish in the cab of the car or truck with you that wll help to keep the temp for them a little more stable.

to heat it up, u can try buying a batery back up, and plug ur heaters into it. it should last for about 2-5 hours.

BestBuy.com - Search Results

you could probably only plug in 3 or 4, 25 watt heaters.
if u want to blug in more, you would have to pay around $500, u can always return it.

Last edited:
Try to keep your substrate and live rock moist. Most of your beneficial bacteria lives in the sand and rock. Some lives in the water, so keeping as much of the original water as possible will also help avoid a cycle. Using coolers is a good idea. Since you will be moving in the summer, I don't think temperature should be that big of an issue, but try to keep it stable. I would buy 5 gallon buckets to transport your animals in. They will be fine in those for several hours.

I would suggest getting your hands in some baggies for your livestock. the cooler idea is the way to go but I would bag them individually and place them in the cooler and add more water to the cooler besides the water in the bags. Keep you LR moist, it doesn't have to be submerged in water. you can put it in a trashcan and cover it with newspapers soaked with your tank water and acn also add some water on it maybe less tahn half after the rocks are in (prevent it from spilling during transport. LS needs to be submerged in tank water all the time, doesn't have to have a PH on it since it will only be less than a day.
Once you get to your destination, I will highly recomend that it will be the very first thing you will unload and set up. don't waste anymore time. the rest of your house stuff can wait or have someone unload those for you but take care of the tank first before you even think of taking your first sip of that brewskie.

Back