Moving very soon

Burnsss

Reefing newb
Hey All

Like I [posted before I'm moving soon. I read a thread about keeping some crushed coral and rinsing the rest with tap water and if so how much do I keep. Also any othr suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again all

That'll be easy then. All you need to do is get buckets,bins,garbage can,or coolers. Anything that's plastic will work as long as it didn't have any chemicals in it.
Suction water from the tank to buckets or whatever you use. Add corals in one,fish in one, and LR in another. Depending on how much stuff you have will depend on how many buckets you'll need. Just remeber water is heavy. Also if you do it just before a water change you won't have to take all the water.
You can leave the substrate in the tank just as long as it stays wet. This would be the easiest way to reuse the substrate. But when I up graded to a 120 I just transported it all over to the bigger tank.
The more help you have the smoother the move will go. Good Luck.

I think Burnsss is saying that he has crushed coral in his tank and he wants to know if he should move it to the new location, move part of it to the new location or replace it all when he gets to the new location....I think?

I am not too familiar with crushed coral or it's harboring of nitrates, so I cannot comment on this.

Since I have never moved tanks, I can only speak of what other's have stated.
Most people will probably tell you to go ahead and replace ALL the substrate (sand or crushed coral) when you get to the new location.
Another method people have mentioned is to keep VERY LITTLE WATER, only enough to cover the substrate, and move the whole thing to the new location, trying not to disturb the sand or crushed coral bed.

In any event, good luck with your move!

I can carry the tank with the crushed coral in it. Also can I rinse the crushed coral because I wanna give the tank a good cleaning

Cani rinse the crushed coral cause I wanna give the tank a good cleaning Also I ca carry the tank with the crushed coralin it???

Yes you can carry the tank with the CC in it. It'll be heavy. Most don't use CC because of nitrate problems. You could switch to sand and use some of the CC to seed the sand. If you rinse the CC you'll kill all the living critters. It really depends on if you want to keep the CC.

Don't reuse the crushed coral. It's a bad, bad substrate. Throw it away, move the tank, then put sand in the bottom instead (aragonite).

Back