Moving

kimoy

CERTIFIED BUM
:frustrat: :sfish: Does anybody has any ideas or suggestion on how can i move my 55 gal all glass reef tank to a higher stand safely. I was planning to just do a 30-40 gal water change and move my tank at the same time to lighten the weight, is this safe. the move will be lifting the tank for about 5-7 inches and slide it to the stand next to it.

anything is greatly appreciated.

Even if you take most of the water out, it will still be pretty heavy, especially if you have live rock in and a deep sand bed in it. I've never done it myself, but I would think that lifting it off its stand even while partially filled would be pretty risky... But like I said, I've never done it before.

If you are only moving it to a new stand next to it I would build a couple of braces and jack up the tank with the old stand to the right height (after you have taken as much out of the tank as possible) then slide the tank from one to the other. This will put the least amount of stress on the tank possible. Just my :twocents:

I would still bag my fish and coral to be safe.A massive water change my have bad effect on your water parameters.If get either some 5 gallon or trash cans(new of course) you could use a gravel vac to get almost the water into the bucket or cans and transfer it back later with same process reversed.Now if think you and some friends can move it try sliding so you can get under it.You can also move some the top rock and keep your base in place.

Tough question! Moving a tank that small with water and potentially other weight still in it is risky. the glass on the 55 gallons is very thin. even taking that much water out still leaves alot of weight. unless you can slide the tank where all four corners are supported. I would take the extra time and empty as much as possible into new trash cans or buckets. you could leave a couple inches of water, just to cover fish but I wouldnt leave anything else. just my opinion. Ive moved alot of tanks, and I had a 55 I moved from 3 different houses. I always left a couple inches of water and my fish in the tank. I never had any problems.
let us know how it goes!

I have always removed the live rock and corals before trying to move the tank. My 75 gallon is still pretty heavy - it only has approx 1 1/2 inches of sand and I leave an inch or so of water. I would deff. remove the live rock. With the rock out of water it would only take a small shift in the rock work to crack the glass. I would be careful about doing a water change that large - it would probably be better to just save the water like others have said.

i plan to do it by taking everything out ncluding LR and use same water except for maybe 10-15 gal of fresh water. do i need to acclimate my livestock before putting it back? if so, any safer/faster way?

I would leave the livestock in the containers you keep your water in, If it takes more than a couple hours put some powerheads or air stones in the containers. once back together you wont have to acclimate cause they will be going back in the same water.

sory guys. took forever to update on this move. but everything went well. thanks for all your feedback. here's a full tank shot of my current tank.
DSC00482.jpg

Thats a nice looking tank. Is it a 55 you were talking about or your 120? What kind of equipment are you running?

Back