Moving

sferris1

Reefing newb
We are moving into a new house and Im looking for some advice on the best way to move my tank without losing alot. Any advice would be appreciated...

Moving a 55 gallon tank shouldn't be too hard.

You will need to go to the hardware store and buy several 5 gallon buckets -- enough to hold your rock and sand. You can also put your livestock into buckets, or if you are traveling a long distance you may prefer to use styrofoam coolers, as they will keep the water temperature more stable than buckets.

I've moved tanks a few times (:() and this is how I've always done it:

Remove and pack up as much of the equipment as you can.

Remove the rocks into buckets. Use wet (saltwater) newspaper to cover the rocks to keep them moist. If you take the rocks out first, it's easier to catch the fish.

Move any loose corals into buckets. Catch the fish and move them into buckets or coolers.

Scoop out sand into buckets.

It's up to you if you want to re-use your old water, or make new water. Moving the old water can be heavy, but re-using some of it can be beneficial.

5 gallon buckets are good, the ones at homedepot have lids that have rubber seals... the ones at walmart dont, but they are cheaper so.....

When i moved my 75 i did just about exactly what biff described, cept i used trashcans instead of buckets... it was just easier for me that way.....

i put my fish in a cooler that i cleaned real good before i started...

one thing that i would suggest, is that i would mix about half of the tanks volume worth of new water, and have it at the new place, for a day or 2 before the move.. that way whatever water you loose in the move, you have good aged ready mixed and at the right temp and salinity water to go right in its place....

putting it back together..... i'd put the bottom layer of rock in while the tank is dry, then i'd put in my sand, and then i'd fill with water to cover the rocks, then i'd make whatever adjustments... and then i'd finish filling it up, and putting the live back in it...

thats what i did and i didnt loose anything, and it was my first time ever around a salt tank, and i had a 2.5 hour drive from there to there....

When i moved my 75 i did just about exactly what biff described, cept i used trashcans instead of buckets... it was just easier for me that way....

I'm a weak little girl, I wouldn't have been able to move anything larger than 5 gallon buckets filled with sand, water and rock :(

I just moved a 75 gallon 30 minutes away to my new house. I didn't lose a thing.

What I did:
Bought a bunch of plastic tote-like containers (about 15 gallons ea).

I unplugged everything, starting draining it out into the assorted containers (I had about 10).
As they were filling, i was putting rock in them so the rocked stayed submerged in water the entire time. My friends were loading them into the truck as they filled.

Once the water level was low enough for me to trap the fish, I grabbed them and put them in bags, floating them in the water of one of the containers. Same with the inverts.

When I had 1" of water left covering the sand, we very carefully moved the 75 gallon tank and then the stand. Was careful not to kick up the sand too too much, but it was pretty much inevitable.

Got to the new place, started filling up the tank, adding rocks as the level got higher. the problem was, the sand just was kicked up so much, that I couldn't see into the tank at all and I was placing rock in the blind! Once it was filled with rock & water, I added the creates back in. By now, the temp had dropped 10 degrees.

It was cloudy for about 15 hours, but when it cleared up, everything was alive and the rock placement wasn't too terrible! i placed a couple of corals face down, but ended up rescuing them.

I did d a water change about 3 hours after the move (had the water made & ready), so I think that helped. I also used a lot of this stuff I got at the lfs that helps neutralize ammonia levels.

The key is to move it quickly, but not so quickly that you are reckless

Any more q's, feel free to ask, like I said, it was very successful for me
alex.

The 5G buckets with the rubber seals will maintain temp pretty well even in cold weather. Even so, think carefully about avoiding temp swings with your livestock.

oh i didnt move the trashcans once they were full, i filled 'em up in the back of the truck via syphon and some LOOOOOOONG pex tubing i had...
then the rocks and sand were moved from the house to the truck via multiple trips and a couple buckets...

I am planning on moving my 125 gal FOWLR into another room of my house. It is in the kitchen and has been there for about 2 years. I want to move it into an office that is right next to kitchen. The office has hardwood flooring. I would like to not ruin the hardwood flooring by having the salt creep get onto it. What would you advise I place under the tanks cabinet to keep this from happening?

Back