Moving

Kully3xf

Reefer Madness
So I will be moving from West Chester, to Devon PA... It's only about a 20 minute drive and I'm not worried about the move TO Devon.. I'm worried about once I get there..

The landlord has informed me that we will have 10 inch thick concrete slab flooring and they have no limit on how large a fish tank i can have... in fact she advocated a large one as she keeps salt fish herself... now my problem is I'm not sure how long I will be staying there... I know at least a year or two, but after that I plan on purchasing my first home. I'm wondering if it is worth it for me to start a large (90-120gallon) tank in the apartment, or would it be better to stay smaller (55-75) for now until i move again. I know moving a tank is a PITA... but my local reef club and LFS I'm sure would house my fish and coral for free or a nominal fee...

Anyone ever move a tank? Should I wait and do a 55 or so? Or do a big one?

I have moved my FW 55 4 times. Moving a tank SUCKS. Are you on the first floor of the apartment or do you have to go up stairs? 90 Gal will take 2 people but anything bigger you will probably want to get 4 guys total to move the tank. Another thing to consider is not getting corals. Moving isn't too hard on fish (especially if you use stress coat and stuff to calm them down) but corals are really touchy. You may also look into professional tank moving services. When I move next, I'm hiring somebody to move it. They have trucks that have tanks that are setup so rather than everything going into buckets, they go into a tank. You may also think about going small this time and then getting something big for your house. That way you can get your new tank set up and just move the fish.

I have moved my FW 55 4 times. Moving a tank SUCKS. Are you on the first floor of the apartment or do you have to go up stairs? 90 Gal will take 2 people but anything bigger you will probably want to get 4 guys total to move the tank. Another thing to consider is not getting corals. Moving isn't too hard on fish (especially if you use stress coat and stuff to calm them down) but corals are really touchy. You may also look into professional tank moving services. When I move next, I'm hiring somebody to move it. They have trucks that have tanks that are setup so rather than everything going into buckets, they go into a tank. You may also think about going small this time and then getting something big for your house. That way you can get your new tank set up and just move the fish.

Ok cool, But i already have a decent selection of coral in my 30 lol... i guess i will just have to be extra gentle... and good point on the stairs... didn't even think of it. second floor would suck with a huge tank like that. ill prolly just stick with a 55 for now then, a good place for growth.

i had a 100 gallon on the 3rd floor. it took 3 strong guys to get it up. i dont know how we made it. luck i guess....
i gave someone else a good deal on the tank if they move it themselves....
they hired a mover.

Back