Multi-Parameter Spectrometer/Digital Water Test Equipment Question

OmegaOmega

Reefing newb
I've run into the Hanna Multiparameter HI83200 bench test system. Easy Meters.com, Hanna instruments meters & more :: Catalog :: Photometers :: Bench :: HI 83200-01 2008 - Laboratory Bench Meter (115V)

Does anyone have anything like this - along the lines of digital testing? I'm surprised that more LFS's don't run something along these lines since it would seem easier and cheaper.

My questions are:
1) Does anyone have one (within this website) or know of someone?
2) What is your/their experience with them?
3) Is there a better brand or model?

Thanks

oh man i want one, i just dont know if i want it that bad... all though, the usb thing is mighty spiffy.
$800 is a bit steep for what i would use it for, but it would also mean that i wouldnt have to try and discerne the color differences on these stupid test kits i have now.

my real question is this, what are the ongoing costs of that machine, cause there has to be cal liquids and stuff.... so, whats it gonna cost me after i drop the $800 up front?

oh man i want one, i just dont know if i want it that bad... all though, the usb thing is mighty spiffy.
$800 is a bit steep for what i would use it for, but it would also mean that i wouldnt have to try and discerne the color differences on these stupid test kits i have now.

my real question is this, what are the ongoing costs of that machine, cause there has to be cal liquids and stuff.... so, whats it gonna cost me after i drop the $800 up front?

From what I read on the reviews, it's lab/commercial grade and doesn't require re-calibration on the test points you'd normally test within a marine tank unless your flash the ROM or software on the device or upgrade to new firmware.

There are some of the 45 other components it tests that said it required 'field use calibration' but then it went off to talk about chlorine, and water treatment plants, etc. Since I won't be testing toilet water - I'd assume I can steer clear of those.

It includes all the initial reagents and calibration fluids and from what I've seen online - a moderately sized bottle runs about $11 and lasts for 300-375 tests. So if I tested every other day, in theory I wouldn't be buying anything else for at least a year.

$800 is by no means cheap or 'reasonable' - however, I get frustrated trying to discerne color charts. I have both strips and chem tests. I use the strips for when I just want quick 'check in' or validation testing and the liquids for more accurate confirmation or when I want to run a test that a strip doesn't cover. I use Salifert tests because they're the best I've used - but those run about $30 a PARAMETER (they don't sell by kits) and each test has about 30-50 uses.

yea, my problem is i just cant tell the difference between this shade of green and that shade of green. its just green to me. or blue, or whatever, the light passing throught the liquid, vs the light that is bouncing off that shiney laminated card will never be the same color in my eyes. i can see just fine, i just cant say this one is greener than that one...

yea, my problem is i just cant tell the difference between this shade of green and that shade of green. its just green to me. or blue, or whatever, the light passing throught the liquid, vs the light that is bouncing off that shiney laminated card will never be the same color in my eyes. i can see just fine, i just cant say this one is greener than that one...

This is what made me switch to Salifert tests - more expensive and a few extra steps, but the colors are dramatic and very different. The Calcium test, for example, changes from bright pink to a dark blue in just one drop when you've hit the threshold for measuring. Makes it more accurate, I think.

Hmm... Isn't the API Calcium test also change from light pink to purple in the last 2nd drop and then to dark blue in the last drop as well? I found it very easy to see the differences.

Sorry Wes I don't know about the calcium test as I use the pinpoint for that. I was referring to the other general tests that have different shades of brown/orange. Hard for me to judge the different shades.

ah, yea. The Ammonia is in shade of green, but they are always zero anyway. :) Nitrate is the tricky one. Shade of yellow to shade of orange. But as long as you have zero Nitrate, you can see the starting yellow color stay the same even after 5 minutes. So it's all good. :)

by the way, just finished reading the operation manual of the multi-parameter spectrometer. The cost of running is gonna be similar (if not more expensive) than the normal test kits. Each test require adding numbers of drops and shaking and stuff just like the normal test kits. At the very final step, instead of comparing the color to a chart, you put the test tube into the machine and it'll read you the reading in numbers accurately.

by the way, just finished reading the operation manual of the multi-parameter spectrometer. The cost of running is gonna be similar (if not more expensive) than the normal test kits. Each test require adding numbers of drops and shaking and stuff just like the normal test kits. At the very final step, instead of comparing the color to a chart, you put the test tube into the machine and it'll read you the reading in numbers accurately.

But wes, can you really put a price on accuracy?

Plus, if I order a lab coat and safety glasses with it, I'll feel like a super-star. :bounce:

Plus, if I order a lab coat and safety glasses with it, I'll feel like a super-star. :bounce:

lol. Next thing you know, you are going to re-decor your room to make it look like the CSI labs.

Thanks Omega. Wesley are you getting one of these?

nah. $800 for the extra accuracy. I don't really need it that accurate. As long as the parameters such as the calcium and mag are in the good "range", it's good enough.

lol. Next thing you know, you are going to re-decor your room to make it look like the CSI labs.

nah. $800 for the extra accuracy. I don't really need it that accurate. As long as the parameters such as the calcium and mag are in the good "range", it's good enough.

Wes, it's not just for the extra accuracy... It's so it matches the lab coat and safety glasses. On your web cam you can look even more fiendish.

Back