Multiple Sump Return Pumps?

fmjnax

Reefing newb
Is it possible to run multiple return pumps and achieve the same results as running a single large pump? For example, can I run two 500GPH pumps to achieve the 1000GPH return that I need? Would I have to run them on their own dedicated returns or can they be merged in to the same return?

Is this because you have 2 500gph pumps and dont want to buy a 1000gph pump? :mrgreen:

I dont think I would try to join them into one return. I like the idea of 2 return pumps. I do think I would bump them up to 650 or 750gph :twocents:

Be sure to allow for head loss.

more pumps equals more heat in the sump and less room in the sump for useful things .also means more money for the electric company.There gonna turn it on there gonna give you the power.but never push multiple pumps into one return unless its downhill

Last edited:
I'm busted! Hehehe. Yes, I have 2 identical 500GPH pumps that I was going to use in a water feature quite a while ago. They never got used, though, so they have been sitting on a shelf for a few years. They're mag-drive pumps and weren't exactly cheap, so if I can get use out of them now, I'd finally be happy. :D

Anyway, I only need about 700GPH at head, and both of these pumps together would be able to achieve what I need. I never thought about the extra heat and power usage, so that will be something I have to consider. I'll have to look up the specs and try and figure out the increase.

Would you care to elaborate why you wouldn't join into one return? I currently have my two canister filters plumbed in to the same return and it's been working great for years, but I know that two stand alone pumps is a lot different than two canister filters.

Thanks!

aquarium pumps are not really designed to push against each other.IE two pumps one return.But i guess if you had two pumps pushing 400 gallons per hour through a 3/4 inch pipe and you joined both to a larger pipe say a 1.5 inch it should work but just seems like you would end up with some big ugly plumbing.

even though they are identical pumps from same company they will never be exactly the same output.So 1 will always work harder and that will create more heat and will probably cause premature wear.If it was me i would sell them both and by a nice 1000gph pump

Last edited:
Thanks for elaborating 14. Makes pretty good sense to me. That also probably means that it wasn't such a great idea to plumb my canisters together. LOL! They are different brands and different pump ratings. It's been running solid for nearly 5 years now, but now it makes me wonder... ;)

We're trying to keep costs super low initially, using stuff we already have around here. I like the idea of selling the two pumps and going up to a single (and actually, I would absolutely prefer that). However, I doubt I can get a return from the 2 pumps that would cover buying a nice 1000GPH. I'll check the possibilities, though.

For starters, I'll probably give the multiples a shot using independent returns. We've set up a test system in the shop so I'll swap out the canisters and plumb these two pumps in and see what happens. I'll monitor any change in water temp and I'll hook them up to the wattmeter. It may work out, or it may be proof enough that I will have no choice but to go to a single pump.

Two pumps will make more heat than one but that just means that your heater won't run as much so savings on money is about the same...

So you could sell those pumps for $45 each easy, and the Mag 9.5 is $125. $35 dollars later you could have one pump

You could also plumb them external. That way they are not submerged in the water. Less surface contact means less heat transfer to the water.

Back