mushroom bleaching

nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
i have a giant green hairy mushroom about 5'' in diameter. It has been slowly loosing its color. is it from too much lighting? i have about 7w per gallon from my mh. the mushroom is placed in the middle level of the aquarium. my water parameters are like always, good and stable. i am thinking that he is getting too much light, is that possible?

I actually have seen the same thing in a friends tank. He got A lot of mushroom rock from a friend who broke his 120 down. The stuff closest to the lights have turned pearl white. Unfortunatly, the went into a smaller tank then they came from and can't all be on the bottom. He has metal halides on the tank, and I am sure that the problem is a combination of the high lighting and how close they are to it.

well i have moved him down, but he still is getting a lot of light, i guess now i know i cant have mushrooms.

Some colored mushrooms can tolerate more light then others I believe (although I will accept being corrected) The red don't tolerate it as well as say the green. It seems to me darker colored corals can stand less light then the lighter colors and lighter colors cand stand more light then the darker in many cases. I have been told both mushrooms and open brains act this way. (again I could be wrong- I am not exempt to bad advice)

Can you shade them in a cave or overhang of some sort?

I think what michelle said is true. I have both red & green mushrooms and the green one are way on top and they like it but the red ones eventually moved themselves to shady parts of the tank, between rocks, etc. The ones that didnt move, i put all the way in the bottom of the tank.

I am also having the same problem with the green hairy mushrooms. There is alot of them one this one rock well they looked great at the LFS and now 2 weeks later there not looking so good. Do you think that they will look better? I have moved them lower.
thanks

I am also having the same problem with the green hairy mushrooms. There is alot of them one this one rock well they looked great at the LFS and now 2 weeks later there not looking so good. Do you think that they will look better? I have moved them lower.
thanks

wow, i thought i was the only one

It could be any number of things causing them to bleach.But one of the more common causes with shrooms,is to much light.

I only seem to be having a problem with the hairy mushrooms, I have other mushrooms in there and have had no problems, so weird.

I would try moving them to the bottom and give them a couple weeks. All of my mushrooms are on the bottom of my tank and/or are shaded, not only do they keep their color that way, but they tend to expand more if it's darker.

Back