Mushroom not opening fully

earman88

Reefing newb
I have one green 'watermelon' mushroom. Since I've got it (2-3 months ago), the thing has yet to open up fully and look good. I feel like I have moved this guy all over my tank to no avail.

See video below (30 seconds into video) for his current location:
10-10-2012 Aquarium Update - YouTube

So has LR come to a consensus on mushroom placement? I was thinking medium light/low flow.. but I've even tried that. What are the chances he is sick or just a 'dud' lol.

I usually put it at the bottom (low light, medium flow) maybe even give it a little shade until it opens, then move it up a bit. But yea I have one mushroom I've had for like 4 months that hasn't opened yet but all my other shrooms look great. Some just take longer than others.

I feel like I have moved this guy all over my tank to no avail.

Well... there's your problem :)
A lot of soft corals and coralimorphs prefer to be left alone to make their own decisions.

Mushrooms are the most notorious for that.
I have always carefully planned where to put mushrooms for optimal viewing and spacing, and after a couple of weeks the suckers bail out of the colony and start growing in awkward places all over the tank but seem to be very happy.

I'll just leave him be and stop worrying about it. I might stick him somewhere out of sight and maybe as a surprise he'll spawn new ones in a few months.

Back