Mushrooms Growing, Polyps Dying

SuckmyFish

Reefing newb
Is there a simple reason that every mushroom I put in my 110g Reef grows and spreads like crazy, but any polyps I put in die within weeks. I have some other basic corals (ie. Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn) with LED lighting.

Do you do a dip on the zoas before you add them to the tank? There is a possibility that they are infected with a disease or parasite that is zoa-specific. Do they develop spots, or do they just stay closed and tend to melt away? Have you bought them all from the same place? What are your water parameters? Are you putting them too close to the light?

And welcome to the site. :)

Thanks for the welcome.
Don't have my parameters handy, but the tank has been up and running now for about 4 years, and the rock is from a reef that was about 10 years old. The tank is in amazing shape, I dose with Iodine, and Calcium, I just started using Strontium. I use Reef Salt. Like I said, almost everything that goes in does amazing, but polyps don't.

Hello there and welcome, as Biff requested we need more specifics than, "these do fine" and "I use reef salt". There is always a simple reason why things happen in our tanks that we all fail to overlook. Help us out so we can help you out! Try and get us the basic water parameters. I assume you arent dipping them (which could be the problem if the place you get your zoas from has a zoa specific parasite or disease in their tank). Also, tell us how you acclimate, the location at which you place the frags, and how they react when they enter the system. Like biff said do they show signs of stress? Are they simply melting away? Do they have spots or other visible signs that might help us?

We ask for a lot of information in order to give you a specific answer. It can be a PITA to go and take the water params or type out a longer response but hey, if you want to find out whats wrong, thats what its going to take for us to help you.

Are you sure you need to be dosing those things? It's very easy to overdose those things and that could be the issue with the zoas. You should never dose without testing for something and having a proven need for it, most tanks don't need any dosing, regular water changes keep all the levels correct.

Welcome aboard first off.

You problem could be caused by any number of a million reason. Could be predators. Could be a parameter out of whack,or just plain bad luck with em.
As a general rule of thumb,if your not testing for,don't dose it

If you can get us the actual run down on your setup equipment wise,flow,and actual numbers on your parameters. We should be able to help you figure it out.

I agree with testing before dosing and regular water changes. I found that polyps actually like the water "not too clean."

My problem is the oppoosite. My polyps do well and my mushrooms dont bloom. Some fall off the rocks and float around, but for the most part, they aren't growing, let alone spreading.

Back